Nailing or Glueing Solid Oak Real wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This is my first post on diynot, sorry if this topic has been covered before, I have looked and cannot see any similar.

I would like to lay solid oak floor in a ground floor dining room. The room is a suspended wooden floor and the floorboards are sound and flat. There is a 2 foot crawlspace under the floor (Just for information)

Having done a little research I thought that the best method of laying the boards was to float them, glueing the individual tongues and grooves together, rather than secret nailing them. This I am planing to do on top of a fibreboard underlay, no DPM as read on this forum.

I have now purchased flooring that on the front of it says "Glue Required". Whilst leaving it to acclimatise I read the instructions which in the first few lines say:

"Do not float this floor unless you are using self-adhesive solid wood underlay and do not glue the joints"

So now I am completely confused, should I just nail down the flooring? I can't see why it cannot be glued, but have no experience laying real wood floor so don't know better.

Help!

Sponsored Links
i think you are misreading the statement ;)
"Do not float this floor unless you are using self-adhesive solid wood underlay and do not glue the joints"
do not glue the joins on the UNDERLAY :D

Sorry Big-all, you're misreading the instructions.

If you are using a "self-adhesive" underlayment (such as Elastilon) you indeed do not put any PVAC wood-glue in the grooves - although Elastilon itself recommends to glue the short ends, but best to keep to the manufacturer's instructions of the wood floor.

"Glue required" on the packaging could mean: fully bond the floor with flexible adhesive to a sound, level and dry concrete underfloor or plywood subfloor.

In your case: secret nailing would be the simplest solution if you don't want to add the self-adhesive underlayment (be aware of copy-cats with inferior products) to your shopping list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back