Real wood flooring on fibre underlay? Float, glue or nail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to lay solid wood flooring on wooden underfloor. As the underfloor planks are running towards the window (just as my floor should at the end), I believe I need 6 mm plywood sub floor to be screwed to the underfloor first.

I also plan to lay 5 mm fibre underlay for sound insulation, these are the big green sheet from the big DIY retailers for £20 a pack. As I found they are suitable for laminate and for real wood flooring as well.

I found controversial information on the internet whether I should glue, nail or leave float the flooring, and unfortunately I have no guidelines come with the flooring I bought (125 mm width, 18 mm thickness, various lengths, hand scrapped solid oak).

One advise that solid wood should be glued to wooden underfloor only, but how can I use fibre underlay? I don't think that should be glued? :confused:

I would prefer to float it, as it will be fiddly due to the various board lengths and various board widths(about 3 mm tolerance).

What are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
You can't use the underlay of you are fixing to the subfloor no matter what the method, the underlay is used when floating a floor.

Never float solid wood flooring, some instruccions tell you to do it this way but they are usually chinese, so who do you complain to when it goes wrong ?

Secret nail or glue down over 6mm wbp ply.

For a floating floor used engineered wood.

Many thanks for your replies.

All information on suppliers and DIY pages are totally controversial. Finally it is clear now, and today I found a great page (woodyoulike) with thumb rules.

'You get what you paid for' is so true, and now I face a lovely jigsaw weekend with variable board widths, and obviously about 45% short pieces... I will nail it down on a 6mm plywood, it will be really nice once its ready (hope at least!)

Sponsored Links
It is a big no no, do not put underlay under any solid wood flooring

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back