Tongue and groove solid oak flooring in summerhouse.

you dont leave gaps between boards indoors as the expansion is designed to be at the edges
if you leave gaps if not glued together, you risk random sized uneven gaps over the floor further aggravated by use and traffic as in 1mm a plank can be 6mm in one area then a random 4mm elsewhere as traffic moves the flooring

if you face nail and glue you risk joints opening as no give at all with fixings at compared to tounge nailing at right angles at 45% degrees

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Big all
Thanks for the reply.
So indoors, even when secret nailed the expansion moves and is taken up in the edges?
And, presumably that may not work because its outsides so the humidity/cold will be worse?
The home office is very well insulated ( much more so than the house!!)

I will definitely be fixing them some how.

"if you face nail and glue you risk joints opening as no give at all with fixings at compared to tounge nailing at right angles at 45% degrees"

You say there is no give with the fixings, is this because they go in at 90% deg? Would face nailing at an angle help cure that risk?
Or would i be better off using glue or an adhesive underlay?

Thinking I opened pandoras box when I bought this!!!

face nails have much more grip as the nails are far bigger popper nails whereas its substantial pins say 16 gauge less than 2mm in the tongue

Ah that makes sense.
I must confess I was going to use a secondary fix nailer using 16g nails on the face (at an angle)

Sponsored Links
it may work fine but be prepared for it not to work
also keep in mind you are going through an extra 4mm ish off plank because full thickness so at 50 ish degrees means 6-7mm less nail reaches the timber under to secure so perhaps next size off nail up

buuuut my concerns slippy surface may equal difficult nailing with machine moving nails bending or skimming /scoring surface remaining proud need punching under----now i simply dont know it may go great so practice several times slightly different angle to see what happens
would think at least a jig off some sort to put a block at right angles to give full support to the shoe

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back