filling a groove to create a tongue in solid wood flooring

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do i go about filling a groove to create a tongue on solid wood flooring.

I plan to start laying the flooring from a hearth with the groove facing the hearth and work across the room however this will leave a space of 2 foot or so from the hearth to the wall that i will need to floor.

following the same method, the groove would face and work towards the wall but i wont be able to secret nail any of these planks!

I had read on line that you can reverse the planks and have a groove to groove layout but the groove needs to be filled to create a tongue to get a good connection. If i did this, i can secret nail the tongues as i work the short distance to the wall from the hearth.

is there ready made fillets of wood for this sort of thing? the flooring is solid oak, does it matter if the fillet was the same wood?

Sponsored Links
if you have a table saw you cut off strips 1mm smaller than the groove[6mm?] you then measure the depth off the groove[8mm??] double it and deduct 2mm[14mm?] then rip them down to size
you can cut in sections if space is tight you can chamfer both edges and glue on insertion both bits but you cannot nail into it

cut some plugs from an off cut to match screw and plug you wont see the plugs

If you have a table saw you could form a tongue into the grooved edge of your board. You could then secret nail as normal. You could also use a router to form the tongue.

If you have a table saw you could form a tongue into the grooved edge of your board. You could then secret nail as normal. You could also use a router to form the tongue.

the trouble is he would have to remove the riving knife and guard and make a custom made jig to do it properly with the temptation to do it without either in place placing the experienced woodworker at danger never mind the novice

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You will need to make a false tongue, This consists of a piece of wood the width of two grooves and the same depth as the groove. The approximate size would be 10mm wide 4mm deep and the length would be as long as the line you are trying to join onto.

You will need to glue with PVA D3 adhesive the false tongue into the fixed row and the turn the next row so you have the groove facing the false tongue and glue the groove into the false tongue.

As toy will be too close to the wall to use a nailing machine ,I would use tongue tites . These are screws that you can screw in at 45% and you will only need an electric screwdriver.

Tongue tite come with a bit to fit the heads of the screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back