Getting ready to lay new solid wood flooring

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am gearing up to lay the new solid oak flooring this coming weekend.

Plan to start at the fireplace hearth as this is the focal point of the room and work away from it, with the first plank being laid with the groove facing the hearth. I think i had read this somewhere but am i right, or does it matter?

i plan to secret nail the floor to the existing suspended timber floor.

laying the floor on the above basis, how would i fix the planks running from the first plank at the hearth to the wall 300mm or so away? obviously, i wouldnt have a tongue showing to fix into?

any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Glue :D

Are you laying at right angle to the existing floor boards or on the same lay?

Reason I ask is that a ply sub floor might be prudent since if you are laying on existing floor boards and the layout is the same every now and then the nailing will be weak where the new floor matches a gap in the existing floor boards

Right angle to the existing floor so was advised that I don't need a play sub floor. Existing boards ar in a decent condition for fixing

As luck has it, the hearth lies length way at right angles to, so works from this point of view.

Is glue for the limited part a real option?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back