wood floor and new hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have 2 jobs and am not sure which to do 1st. I'm laying wood floor (engineered oak) in living room (DIY) and having a new wood burner and slate hearth installed (professionally). I'd like the floor to run seamlessley under the hearth. Do I lay the floor 1st and allow a gap for the hearth (risking damage to the floor) or do I have the hearth installed and ask them to raise it by enough for the edge of the wood floor to slide into the 'gap' at the edge of the hearth?
Thanks
shaun

Sponsored Links
Slate is rather heavy to be installed on the wood floor (will restrict seasonal movement of the floor). Best is your second idea, as long as they make the gap underneath wide enough for your wood floor to slide under AND leave enough expansion room.

To comply with Buildign Regs. "a hearth made of non-combustible material must extend a minimum of 300mm in front of & 150mm either side of the appliance over a suitable constructional herth”; don’t lay wood floor inside this area & lay the hearth on top or you will breach the Regs. It’s not a good idea for the reasons given by WoodYouLike who is the expert; & you WILL need an expansion gap. My own slate hearth is 380mm deep laid over a BR compliant constructional hearth in conjunction with a solid oak floor & although it copes without any problems, I was really surprised how hot the wood gets. I have an oak quadrant over the expansion gap at the minute but admit doesn’t look right so am going to experiment with a flat section.

Sponsored Links
Reading this with interest..

This weekend I will be laying a black limestone hearth that will be home to a wood burner. All my dimensions have been checked and double checked. However, today the company supplying the stove delivered it and passed comment that my limestone flags should be bedded on a vermiculite base otherwise they will crack. All the reading Ive done suggests a mortar base (or even set on floor tile adhesive) is adequate.

Does anyone have any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back