Hewlett Packard hard drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old'ish Hewlett Packard desk top pc that won't start up properly because of over heating i think.

The start up screen comes on ok for a while and then the machine turns off after much noise from the fans.

To be honest i'm not bothered about the machine it's self, but i am bothered about some of the content on the hard drive, business emails etc (i know, should have backed up elsewhere) i have no reason to think the hard drive has a problem and have heard about Hard drive caddys.

Is it possible to get a caddy to put my hard drive in & then access the hard drive from my laptop, hopefully with a USB connection straight from one to the other?

The hard drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80Gb model ST380011A...is this a 3.5" hard drive?

I've seen some caddys on the web/eBay etc but dont want to end up buying the wrong thing, if what i've asked above is possible i'd really appreciate someone putting a link on here to a suitable caddy for my purpose.

As mentioned above, i'm not really interested in getting the desktop pc up and running again, just accessing the HD as cheaply as possible.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
no, sorry, that is an ide to usb, you need a sata to usb like the one i posted. register with e-buyer you can pay with paypal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the really quick replies both of you, i've got the eBay one bought and await delivery...thanks again :)

The caddy has arrived and the hard drive fits it ok, what i was hoping is that i could access the hard drive in the same way as when a pc is first switched on with the various user names avalible to enter with password etc.

However, when i access the hard drive it is more like a giant memory stick with various files on view.

What i'm looking for is some old business emails on outlook under one of the 3 user names that were present before the desktop pc gave up the ghost.

Any ideas as to how i'd be able to use the hard drive as it was when in the desktop pc?

My laptop does support booting from USB, i tried setting the boot menu to USB first with the old HD plugged in and powered up but got a screen saying problems starting etc so, not wanting to risk my correctly operating laptop i switched settings back again.

Assuming yo have Outlook on your laptop too, just locate the appropriate .PST file on the old drive, copy it to your laptop and open it in Outlook. The default location on the old drive will be (assuming XP):

Documents and Settings\your user account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

You can open the file in Outlook from the file menu.

Hi,

I have an old'ish Hewlett Packard desk top pc that won't start up properly because of over heating i think.

The start up screen comes on ok for a while and then the machine turns off after much noise from the fans.

To be honest i'm not bothered about the machine it's self, but i am bothered about some of the content on the hard drive, business emails etc (i know, should have backed up elsewhere) i have no reason to think the hard drive has a problem and have heard about Hard drive caddys.

Is it possible to get a caddy to put my hard drive in & then access the hard drive from my laptop, hopefully with a USB connection straight from one to the other?

The hard drive in question is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80Gb model ST380011A...is this a 3.5" hard drive?

I've seen some caddys on the web/eBay etc but dont want to end up buying the wrong thing, if what i've asked above is possible i'd really appreciate someone putting a link on here to a suitable caddy for my purpose.

As mentioned above, i'm not really interested in getting the desktop pc up and running again, just accessing the HD as cheaply as possible.

Any help appreciated.

I have a similar problem but cannot now source a caddy, do you still have the one that you purchased?

Sponsored Links
Back