Which external hard drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get a usb connecting external hard drive to back up files on a daily basis.

I have seen 100 gb drives in PC world etc for £80 upwards.

Is there something smaller for less dosh ?

Sponsored Links
You can get bigger for less dosh :D

Check the prices on PC World's website, they are usually cheaper than instore, if you order online to collect instore, you can pick it up having paid the web price.

Having said that, check ebuyer, scan, aria etc (google the words). and you can get 320gb drives for under £60.

my only concern with such a size of hard drive is its going to wear out quicker becuse of its size.

or am i barking up the wrong tree?

breezer said:
my only concern with such a size of hard drive is its going to wear out quicker becuse of its size.

I think you're meowing up the wrong hatstand.

Large drives don't wear out more quickly than small drives. If they did then would one today's drives of 300Gb wear out in less than 1/30,000th of the time that it used to take for a 10Mb drive to wear out? In other words, if (15 years ago) a 10Mb drive wore out in just one year, then would a 300Gb drive wear out in only 15 minutes? :eek:

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

Tree? You appear to be barking up a mobile phone mast, and the radiowaves aren't helping.

Thanks for the info.

I am thinking about the SEAGATE ST900803FGD1E1-RK 80GB on the pcworld website, £56.99

Would i be right in thinking 80Gb is more than enough for backing up text files and the odd photo here and there, i dont see the point in getting a 300Gb drive that just isn't going to be used to it's max or indeed anywhere near it's max.

Aqua said:
Would i be right in thinking 80Gb is more than enough for backing up text files and the odd photo here and there, i dont see the point in getting a 300Gb drive that just isn't going to be used to it's max or indeed anywhere near it's max.

I don't agree that is the right approach - buy the best you can afford at the time. Perhaps you can't see the need for it yet, but who can predict what will happen. Maybe you'll backup your entire music collection, maybe you'll need to backup video files when you get a video camera for xmas ...

This ebuyer search shows plenty of drives cheaper and with more capacity than the one at PC world. Buy one that costs over £50 and they even deliver it for free.

Agreed, 4 times as much storage for the same price, it's a no brainer!
Maybe you are being mistrustful of online retailers, and prefer the security of buying from a well known high street brand such as PC World (even though they are more expensive and usually don't know what they're going on about*)

*allegedly

Ok ok i'm sold on the idea of big is best :LOL:

Now as a back up device it must be easily removable from the machine, ie usb right ?

So on ebuyer the following drive is avalible for £54.99 (free postage, yes)

Seagate 300GB e-SATA External Hard Drive 16MB Cache.

This comment below was left on the review of the unit.

How come the previous comment say it can be connected with USB? I've checked the website and other retailers including this, it clearly stated Connectivity: eSATA. Can anyone confirm this? Also it only comes with 1 year warranty, tat sounds a bit dodgy... normal HD comes with 3yrs...

What is e-SATA ? What do you guys think of the unit ?

Or the 320GB Maxtor External Hard Drive from Maplin.

By the way i'm happy enough to buy online etc with free postage as the Seagate and Maxtor is.

not sure about the Seagate eSATA, but the maxtor is USB2.0 and so easily removable and portable between machines.

Sponsored Links
Back