Save files off hard disk drive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an dead computer with the operating system not working, its starts in DOS mode only.

Would it be possible to take the hard drive out of this u/s computer, place the drive into my external usb drive holder and connect it to a fully functional PC and be able to retrieve all the files off the hard drive?

Many thanks,

G

Sponsored Links
Provided your hard drive is working, you would be better off fitting it as a slave in another PC. You could then easily retrieve your files

You could also try to repair the non functioning O/S.

What is the O/S and what exactly is the problem?

Repairing the OS is well beyond my means. I know what I am capable of.

I would have thought connecting the drive by the means of my usb casing is just the same as connecting as a slave and don't see the point of ripping apart a perfectly working PC and risk damaging that one also

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes what you have said initially should work.

Assuming the USB Caddy has the same interface. I.e. IDE/SATA

Repairing the OS is well beyond my means. I know what I am capable of.

I would have thought connecting the drive by the means of my usb casing is just the same as connecting as a slave and don't see the point of ripping apart a perfectly working PC and risk damaging that one also

Cheers

It can be as easy as doing a repair install of Windows, but it would depend on the problem, which you don't mention.

I plugged the usb casing with the drive in it and everything that's on it appears on the working computer, problem solved!

Thanks guys :cool:

Glad you're sorted Graeme. For future reference (like when this happens to someone else who is searching for help!)...

... if your computer comes with a Rescue Disk to reinstall the Operating System, you can run it without jeopardising your own data and files. You mustn't format the drive first - that will wipe it!! But you can run the rescue and put the OS back.

I have done this myself. Once. Very scary, but it did the trick. :eek:

I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data
I must back up my data

A cheap option is an ide to usb adaptor, comes with its own power supply no need to put hard drive in a case and is only a £5 on ebay.Supports sata as well and any old cd/dvd drive.

Sponsored Links
Back