Hi,Can you answer a few question for me please

Exactly my point.

Before retiring spent many years repairing boilers and have seen this scenario so many times. It seems some 'installers' love to install the largest combi boiler with no regards to what is suitable for the customers water supply.

Seen exactly same with unvented cylinders. Sold to clients with low mains pressure and flow rates.

Found a 40kw Baxi duotec or platinum (can’t remember exactly) couple of years ago.
133 ignition errors.
Only getting 6mb max working pressure at boiler as piped up in 15mm all the way from meter at other end of flat to loft 2 stories up. 20.5mb wp at meter.

The best bit, was it was only supplying a kitchen sink and the smallest basin in a toilet I’ve ever seen. No bath and electric shower.

Sponsored Links
I was basically hoping to buy the boiler , filter ,flu , thermostat myself and get someone in to fit it

Pound to a penny, you wont save nearly as much as you expect. And you will reduce your pool of available installers. I suggest you find an installer and
try to ask someone for a price to fit your proposed purchases BEFORE you spend a mountain of time and cash.

As much as anything else, hackles are raised, as your approach suggests a lack of trust. It also suggests that you may be a difficult client. You are also clueless in product selection, as your desire for a 40Kw illustrates, as well as your question number 4. A non fancy and non complicated stat hangs on the wall, and does not communcate via telephony.

Although you wish to buy your non fancy non complicated Nest or whatever, (presumably because you dread the thought of an installer making some profit) you are likely still to expect the installer to explain it all to you, and be on the end of the phone when you are freezing cold, 'cos you cocked up the program.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Im sure you'll find someone but the good installers aren't desperate for work and that 10 year warrenty wont be worth a light if the install isn't done right and then when the job doesn't meet your expectations will you ask your solicitor to write a letter to the installer "on the cheap" if you provide the pen & paper? Just ask family & friends for recommendations, look at their work and if your happy with it move on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back