Hi,Can you answer a few question for me please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Ok my Baxi 105e has finally given up after 16 years so I'm after a few questions answered

1:- I'm looking at either a Baxi Ecoblue 40 40kw or an Ideal Vogue GEN2 C40 40kw, I like the Baxi as comes with a 10year guarantee and our last Baxi has been pretty much bulletproof for 16 years, SO what would you guys choose out of the 2 ....Or is there another ??

2:- I've read so much about people having to change their thermostats on their rads when they have a new boiler fitted so would my thermostat have to change even thou I've had a combi previously?

3:- I want a Magnetic filter can you recommend one as I can see there are lots on the market?

4:- I like the idea of turning the heating on by your phone, Can someone advise me on one I don't want anything fancy and complicated just something to turn heating on when on way home.

Thanks, everyone hope have wasted your time and my questions can be answered

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Ok my Baxi 105e has finally given up after 16 years so I'm after a few questions answered

1:- I'm looking at either a Baxi Ecoblue 40 40kw or an Ideal Vogue GEN2 C40 40kw, I like the Baxi as comes with a 10year guarantee and our last Baxi has been pretty much bulletproof for 16 years, SO what would you guys choose out of the 2 ....Or is there another ??

40kw combi is huge and will no doubt need full gas pipe upgrade to bigger diameter of pipe from gas meter to boiler. You have managed with a much smaller combi this far, any reason you want such a big one?

2:- I've read so much about people having to change their thermostats on their rads when they have a new boiler fitted so would my thermostat have to change even thou I've had a combi previously?

Thermostatic radiator valves should be fitted to all radiators except one where room thermostat is to be installed.
If you already have trv fitted, you don’t need to replace them.
3:- I want a Magnetic filter can you recommend one as I can see there are lots on the market?
Fernox omega best one at the moment imho.

4:- I like the idea of turning the heating on by your phone, Can someone advise me on one I don't want anything fancy and complicated just something to turn heating on when on way home.

Honeywell lyric, nest, netatmo, hive, Drayton migenie, and many others do this.

Thanks, everyone hope have wasted your time and my questions can be answered

Thanks McCombi for getting back to me, I was looking at the 40kw as was only few hundred pound more
Our house has 13 radiators would you go for a 33kw or a 28kw (Would both of them be suitable for standard size gas pipe? )
Also are you a Baxi fan as i have read there are lots that are not a Baxi fan
Thanks Again for replying

Sponsored Links
Thanks McCombi for getting back to me, I was looking at the 40kw as was only few hundred pound more
Our house has 13 radiators would you go for a 33kw or a 28kw (Would both of them be suitable for standard size gas pipe? )
Also are you a Baxi fan as i have read there are lots that are not a Baxi fan
Thanks Again for replying

Best to speak to your installer reg gas pipe sizing. It all depends on how long the gas run is, how many bends and the size of gas appliances needing to be run off of it. When you have this information a calculation is done to work out required diameter of gas pipe.

Size of combi depends on what you have hot water wise, ie taps, bath, showers etc.

Speak to your installer for advice as hey should be able to answer your questions better having seen the system already.

But more importantly what actual flow rate the cold water mains supply is.
Hi Alan we had the water board in few years back to put a new main from the middle of the road into the house

Choosing a larger output boiler should increase the amount of hot water per minute so you might be able to draw water from 2 taps at the same time but when its in CH mode it could be considered to be oversized and therefore less efficent. Vaillant ecotec model's for example can be adjusted for different heating output, I dont know if Baxi's or Ideal's can you would need to research that. Dependant on how far your boiler is from the gas meter along with the boilers max gas rate will determine the pipe size reqd and long 28mm gas runs dont come cheap. Zoning up your heating system should also be considered.

Choosing a larger output boiler should increase the amount of hot water per minute so you might be able to draw water from 2 taps at the same time but when its in CH mode it could be considered to be oversized and therefore less efficent. Vaillant ecotec model's for example can be adjusted for different heating output, I dont know if Baxi's or Ideal's can you would need to research that. Dependant on how far your boiler is from the gas meter along with the boilers max gas rate will determine the pipe size reqd and long 28mm gas runs dont come cheap. Zoning up your heating system should also be considered.

The new boiler position will be about 6ft from the main gas and water inlet ...its going into a old kitchen where there is also a rad and hot water so im hoping it will be a straight forward job for someone.....the old boiler has already been capped off and taken out

The new boiler position will be about 6ft from the main gas and water inlet ...its going into a old kitchen where there is also a rad and hot water so im hoping it will be a straight forward job for someone.....the old boiler has already been capped off and taken out

I was basically hoping to buy the boiler , filter ,flu , thermostat myself and get someone in to fit it

I was basically hoping to buy the boiler , filter ,flu , thermostat myself and get someone in to fit it
That means you will be responsible for sorting out any problems if any of the components is faulty. You can't expect the installer to do it as he hasn't purchased the item.

That means you will be responsible for sorting out any problems if any of the components is faulty. You can't expect the installer to do it as he hasn't purchased the item.

Yes of course i fully understand that

Hi Alan we had the water board in few years back to put a new main from the middle of the road into the house
Maybe so but what flow rate are you actually getting?
Choosing a larger output boiler should increase the amount of hot water per minute so you might be able to draw water from 2 taps at the same time
True but getting a larger boiler with the intention to feed numerous taps is wasted if the mains supply is insufficient.

Installed a 35kw combi with flue recovery to give equivalent of 40kw few weeks ago against my advice.

Only getting 12 litres per min so a 27kw (equivalent of 30kw) would have been suffice.

Customer was adamant he wanted it, and cost him about £300 more due to boiler price and gas pipe upgrade which was all unnecessary.

Installed a 35kw combi with flue recovery to give equivalent of 40kw few weeks ago against my advice.

Only getting 12 litres per min so a 27kw (equivalent of 30kw) would have been suffice.

Customer was adamant he wanted it, and cost him about £300 more due to boiler price and gas pipe upgrade which was all unnecessary.
Exactly my point.

Before retiring spent many years repairing boilers and have seen this scenario so many times. It seems some 'installers' love to install the largest combi boiler with no regards to what is suitable for the customers water supply.

Seen exactly same with unvented cylinders. Sold to clients with low mains pressure and flow rates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back