Hi Pressure tap help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed Hudson Reed wall mounted bathroom taps only to find they are high pressure.Cold is mains fed and works ok. Hot is not adequate to keep plunger valve open on the shower attachment. I have already installed a pump for new shower.Presumably Can "T" of this for both hot and cold (cant do hot only checked with manufacturer), but will i have sufficient cold reserves to fill hot tank and fill bath at same time? If i go separate hot only pump will this have an adverse effect on existing kitchen hot tap and washing machine? thanks.

Sponsored Links
.ANDREW said:
Presumably Can "T" of this for both hot and cold (cant do hot only checked with manufacturer), but will i have sufficient cold reserves to fill hot tank and fill bath at same time?

Is it a twin head pump or single head.

Can you clarify what sort of pump have you bought manufacturer and model and also what you mean about Teeing off. This would suggest you have bought a single head pump which needs to be installed between the control valve an head?

Or do you have an unvented cylinder and you are proposing to install the pump on the inlet to the cylinder?

You really need to have pumped supplies to both hot and cold shower connections - if you don't then operation of the complete system will be unpredictable.

Also you need to take separate connections from the cold water storage cistern and hot water cylinder to feed the pump / shower.
Check your installation instructions for the pump and shower - I would anticipate one or both will state that you have to do this anyway. Make sure you read the instructions fully.

Pump is NewTeam Duraspeed twin impellar ... cold is fed from header tank in loft.. hot is from Surrey flange on hot water storage tank. By Teeing of I meant can i take a feed from the pumped side pipework which feeds the shower valve to also feed the bath taps. My alternative was to install a sep single pump for the hot but not sure where to take feed from .. the shower side of the surrey flange or the existing hot tap supply..

I would go for the twin impellor pump.

Hot inlet to pump from Surrey Flange (make sure Surrey Flange is in accordance with pump manufacturer's recommendations). Hot outlet can serve the other bathroom sanitaryware. Don't know what the duty of the pump is though. It may not serve two outlets simultaneously very well though.

Cold inlet to pump - take from a separate connection on CWS cistern. This can also serve other outlets but ditto as hot.

22mm pipework would be best - check pipe size with manufacturer's recommendations if they say 22mm then use 22mm anyway.

You may find CWS cistern empties prematurely so you may have to limit usage or fit a larger cistern.

Note that if you feed all sanitaryware from pump then if anyone uses loo or basin at night, the pump will operate and could cause annoyance

Sponsored Links
thanks..pump already installed is twin... loo would remain mains fed...
I think the CWS tank size may be an issue.
(guess i need to work out how much water the pump will be delivering in conjunction with the tank size)

What do you think of the idea of a separate single pump just for the bath?
..many thanks for your suggestions..

I don't understand what you are getting at.

If you have a twin head pump already installed why can you not feed the bath from that pump?

If your cistern size is 50 gallon (225 litres) it may do.

If it is less than 50 gallons you are likely to run out of water at times.

A bath takes about 100 litres if you just want to cover up your nobly bits and about 200 litres if you want a soak.

CWS looks to be 50 gallon... hot water tank is 117 litres.. looks like i have some new plumbing to do tomorrow... thks

Don't change cistern until you have tried it - everybody uses water differntly also if it is marginal a 22 float operated valve passes a lot more water for a given pressure than a 15mm and therefore the cistern will fill more rapidly as water is being drawn off.

ok thks... water feed to tank is 15mm.. exits are both 22mm for the hot water cylinder and the shower pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back