Hidden doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Ive been asked to make a small shelving cupboard with doors which will be cut into the eave space, this is in a dormer roof space so its already finshed etc

The cupboard is going to house a security system and monitor and the customer wants this to be lockable and and as inconspicuous as possible. He doesnt want mouldings or architrave, so the doors will have to sit flush to the existing walls.

Any ideas on how to create this look?

cheers
leonne

Sponsored Links
i try to disguise these openings as much but not really solved it with out an architrave to cover the lining/plaster joint.

can you not buy a safe and wall mount it in the roof space???in a remote location???

just given myself a poss good way of creating a showing access though.i might look into using a premade loft hatch,rather than constructing one myself.

i try to disguise these openings as much but not really solved it with out an architrave to cover the lining/plaster joint.

The wall covering is painted mdf anyway, so I can mount the frame behind the mdf wall.

can you not buy a safe and wall mount it in the roof space???in a remote location

I dont think id get a safe big enough and this isnt really what the customer wants.

Thanks for the suggestion Chukka63.

A bit Hollywood but could you perhaps conceal the door behind a mirror or hanging picture?
Failing that it may be possible to hide it a little if the wall is papered with a paper that has some sort of geometric design on it that will disguise the opening.

Sponsored Links
or through a wardrobe like i did in a chalet of my own a few years back.

as the space is at about knee height a picture or mirror would make it kind of aoovious something was not right. If i were a burgular then id go straight for the mirror :LOL:

and Im told the irony is that, people break into these houses to steal the security system, I guess they review their work afterwards to see where they can improve :LOL:

any other Ideas on this anyone???

The only way I've seen doors hidden (sucessfully) is behind panelling, as the vertical lines of the panels break-up the obvious lines of a door.

Yea, id agree handyman, trouble is the walls around 6m long and the cupboard only needs to be less than a m/2 so would be alot of work and cost.

I was hoping that someone would have a clever Idea ive never seen or heard of :confused:

The problem you will have is hiding the lines of the door, if the rest of the wall is painted with no pattern to disrupt the lines.

If you can't hide the lines of the door, then you'll have to consider covering them. A picture/mirror have been mentioned above, but what about a radiator/cover - something you'd expect to find at that height?

Yes the lines of the door are a problem, also locking these doors is a problem. Ill have to spk with the customer again and maybe something like a radiator cover will cover up what will then be an easy job.

cheers
Leonne

dressing table with a mirror on the back that full fuctions as in angles on the arms but removes to reveal a wall with push latches

basicly go for 2 doors you cant see in the area coverd by a dressing table mirror so double line off defence
iff you fit a light on each side of the dressing table it will shine in your eyes a bit and disguise the hidden doors a bit

After a little more thought, a further option - but this is dependant on the available depth of the cupboard.

Create a double door cupboard (not hidden), and create a false back to this that opens to provide access to an equipment space. Another version would be to create the cupboard full depth, and have the equipment stored to the side of the cupbaord behind the wall. Access either through a false side wall opening, or a pull-out drawer. Get the owners to fill the cupboard with the usual crap to make it look used.

dressing table with a mirror on the back that full fuctions as in angles on the arms but removes to reveal a wall with push latches

Al the problem with this Idea is its in a hall way and the wall is only about a meter high before the pitch of the roof comes into play.
Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

Create a double door cupboard (not hidden), and create a false back to this that opens to provide access to an equipment space. Another version would be to create the cupboard full depth, and have the equipment stored to the side of the cupbaord behind the wall. Access either through a false side wall opening, or a pull-out drawer. Get the owners to fill the cupboard with the usual crap to make it look used.

Cheers Handyman I like this Idea, this could definetley be the one to go with.

Cheers
Leonne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back