hiding radiator pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helloo,

We've just moved house and the new place has concrete floors so all radiator pipework for the downstairs rooms goes up/down into the ceiling. We are about to start redecorating so now would be the logical time to do something with the pipework.

I plan to get a professional in to do this, so my first stupid question is which professional?! I assume a gas engineer as opposed to any kind of builder/handyman?

Secondly, the pipework currently comes directly out of the ceiling so I assume it would need to be chased into the wall above ceiling level / below updstairs floor level - is this easy enough to do or fairly disruptive?

Finally, can anyone suggest a ballpark figure for what this would cost (2 lots of pipework)?

thanks in advance

addey

p.s. i've got a few more CH related queries which i'll bring out in due course :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
They need to be chased in pretty deep as I'm pretty sure they would need to be insulated, sleeved, boarded then plastered. You may find it hard to find someone to do it and if you do they may charge a fair bit.
You'd need a heating engineer/plumber who can get a good finish plastering over but you may want to think about a professional plasterer who can assure you that you wont see the chase lines and the plaster wont keep cracking.

Don't be surprised if you receive some hefty quotes.

you don`t need a Gas engineer, as the only operation will not involve opening any gas safe related covers etc. But finding a plumber/ builder is probably a lot harder unless you know me :LOL: in East Sussex :cry:

thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to get the rooms replastered anyway, it was more the chasing out and adjusting of pipes i was concerned about.

Sponsored Links
May be better to 'box' the pipes into a corner, some timber battens and a plasterboard cover, then decorate over the box. Chasing into walls is going to be messy and expensive.

May be better to 'box' the pipes into a corner, some timber battens and a plasterboard cover, then decorate over the box. Chasing into walls is going to be messy and expensive.
especially if you use Nige F :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I`d have to buy a satnav to get me North of Ashdown Forest :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back