Hiding wall mounted TV cabling behind wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a TV I've mounted on an internal stud plasterboard wall, and a TV unit below. Currently got all the cable coming down from the TV in conduit, but it looks a bit crap.

Was thinking of making a small-ish hole at the top and bottom, and feeding the cables behind the wall instead. I've never done this before though, so not sure how you would seal the holes so they don't just crumble etc?

How would you tackle this?

Sponsored Links
brush plates mounted on a drylining box

ie https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auline-Whi...5?keywords=brush+plates&qid=1690735995&sr=8-5

on

and be aware that there might be a noggin half way up the wall in the cavity you want to feed the cables in

Ah didn't think about noggins. Presumably there is a high chance one will be in the way.

Sounds like a pain if so, as you have to drill through them?

Sponsored Links
When I fitted the TV wall bracket, I borrowed one of those stud finders for the vertical studs. For the life of me I couldn't detect them with any confidence, so ended up doing several investigator pilot hole to see which ones has wood dust on the drill bit!

Aren't there always horizontal bits on internal stud walls? House is mid-90s build.

Aren't there always horizontal bits on internal stud walls?
One of the first things I was taught in my 'higher education' was that "the real world" is such that if a question contains words like "always", "never", "none", "all" etc., then the answer would almost certainly be 'no' ;)

More seriously, I've certainly seen many a stud wall without noggins - but I've also seen some infuriating ones with multiple (sometimes not horizontal) noggins, with or without insulation/straw/whatever!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back