Hifi wood veneer trim restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks been restoring a hifi with real rosewood veneer trim. I want to tidy the corners up and sand down and bring the luster back.
So couple of things...
I understand a good woodfiller is Cuprinol natural as it accepts stains ok?
Then rub down, stain with Ronseal wood stain, then french polish and finish with beeswax does this sound about right? Grain added with permenant marker pen, then wiped off.

Now went to my local shed and the prices were crazy so assuming all the above will restore my veneer like new where can I go to get these bits without it costing the earth!?

Help appreciated!

Olly.

Sponsored Links
Brummers wood filler is available in correct colour, no need for dye [I assume you meant dye not woodstain]

Grain added with permenant marker pen, then wiped off.

What?? Rosewood is probably fine grained enough to finish without using fillers, but for the life of me I don't know what you mean by grain added with permenant marker.

Hopefully pictures will make things clearer!

1387.jpg

1384.jpg

I think this might be teak...

1385.jpg

The pen is used to put the black lines back in..?

I would appreciate any guidance![/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi folks been restoring a hifi with real rosewood veneer trim. I want to tidy the corners up and sand down and bring the luster back.
So couple of things...
I understand a good woodfiller is Cuprinol natural as it accepts stains ok?
Then rub down, stain with Ronseal wood stain, then french polish and finish with beeswax does this sound about right? Grain added with permenant marker pen, then wiped off.

Now went to my local shed and the prices were crazy so assuming all the above will restore my veneer like new where can I go to get these bits without it costing the earth!?

Help appreciated!

Olly.

none of the above will restore your veneer like new. You need a 2 pack wood filler ie filler and hardener (B&Q do it) then you need to colour the filler. In the trade, earth pigments and spirit colour are used with french polish as a binder. You won't find anything like this in the likes of B&Q though. Best use the 2 pack filler, sand it smooth and feather it in to the surrounding veneer then get a water paint set and a pencil brush and paint the grain in over the filled area using the various colours. When paint dry, use french polish to seal in applying with some cotton cloth (one light coat every 10 minutes) then rub down with 0000 wire wool and finish with wax polish.

Hi Matt, thanks for your post. Hadn't noticed previously for some reason.
Thankfully I haven't tackled this job so I am glad I found this in time!

I have since been told oil paints are the best paint to use but I will have a go with some good wuality water paints.
Now I normally finish or refresh the wood veneer with Danish oil, would I be able to do this to the restored wood after restoration as per your instructions or would I no longer use this method? Also will I have problems with the water paints changing colour after application of the French polish? Also should I wax the good wood first and match the paint to that, or match the paint to the wood in the state I find it then wax over the entire surface?
Sorry if daft questions but I want to make a good effort if possible!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back