High build textured paint on exterior walls for render patching, replaced air bricks etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Recently had some work done to the exterior of the house (painted render over bricks) to clean our roof, tidy up fascias/soffits, replace guttering and chip out old air bricks to replace with new, as well as patching in cracks and the like before painting over on top.

The paint has recently been done and it's fairly obvious that this was ill conceived, and ill advised as being capable of making everything look neat and tidy. In fact you could almost say it looks worse than before now. I've attached a screenshot of a replaced air brick showing the uneven levels where the new air bricks have been put in. Other general cracks and the like have been sorted and they stick out like a sore thumb.

So, I'm trying to think of ways to rectify this given i actually wanted a rough/sandy/textured finish in the first place, and I've looked into things like Spraystone, Tyrolean and the like. My builder has suggested going with a full 'solution' involving plastering on scratch coats, adding a mesh on top and then finishing with a sprayed acrylic type covering. The problem with that being all the original works in their entirety (including scaffolding) were 4-5k and this new idea is looking more like 10k.

So am I completely thick in thinking that a high build textured paint with a fine finish / emulsion type roller would even this out and make the outside look nice without spending a kings ransom that I don't have? The existing walls and render are solid (verified by two different sources) and we have no need for fancy insulation and the like outside.

I'm thinking something like this product:

.. but applied in a less 'artex' manner, so it has a finer finish. A bit like this:

So, maybe once over the air brick part to build it up a few mm, before going over the wider area? My plan is to buy some of this paint and give it a try but wanted to ask here in case I'm being totally naive, or missing out on some crucial detail that makes this a bad idea? Surely this is going to cost more like 1-2k to get the existing painters to re-do the job, instead of 10 grand.

I work away from home, so i'm very limited to internet research and directing things from afar, rather than just getting stuck in.

Attachments

• IMG-20180313-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20180313-WA0013.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back