High flow gravity fed shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need a bit of advice on purchasing a new shower mixer
A long time ago I bought an Mira Excel, this was round but white plastic and superb flow
I've since had a couple of chrome bar mixers but the performance is no where near the Excel
and the Mrs isn't happy
Any one know of a high flow mixer but in chrome. Is it just that bar mixers aren't has good or will I have to go back to the round type?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Aqualisa Colt is low pressure and is external. More a torpedo than a bar but anything low pressure has to be big.

Thanks guys. I've presently got a Mira Atom ev installed, on one website it shows the flow as 2.7 litres/min where some cheaper ones have up to 10 l/min. Just wondered if it was classed as eco
Would I be able to change the cartridge to allow a better flow rate?

Sponsored Links
FYI I have a aqualisa colt installed. I was told this was similar in performance to aqualisa opto thermo (discontinued). My cold water tank is on the ceiling joists so the head is:

54 cm Shower head to ceiling
1 cm plasterboard
7 cm ceiling joists
2 cm chipboard under tank
42 cm water level (i.e. to just under tank overflow)
i.e. 64+42 cm

Opto Gravity exposed is rated as 10.2 l/min for 1.53m head (called 1m head so 1m to bottom + 0.53m of water I guess). Colt was expected to be 8l/min at same head.

My pipe run, all in 22mm copper up to the last few inches, is

2.4m cold tank to floor
4.5m under floor
1.1m floor to Colt

I've measured the flow as 4.5 l/min which with the colt shower head gives an acceptable shower. Given I've such a low head this seems on par with the expected performance.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking about going for a manual mixer to get a decent flow, bit cheaper than taking a chance on another therm valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back