High pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

We've got a Ravenheat TS100T (The White Star, apparently) - 3 years old when my girlfriend & moved in last March. We started having problems a few days ago where the pressure would go up to 4 bar, then the RCD would trip on our circuit breaker. The radiators would not heat up. The lowest the pressure would drop to over the course of a full day was around 3.5 bar. If we switched it back on, the pressure would climb back up very quickly, and trip - before the radiators had a chance even to warm.

A friend who knows more about these things that we do (not difficult!) had a quick look and thought it seems like the pump had gone. We got a new one & he fitted it yesterday. Switching the heating back on, the radiators heated up - a blessing after being without heat for a week during the last cold snap - and seemed normal. However, I checked the pressure gauge after a few hours, and it had gone past 4 bar, past where 5 would have been if there was a 5 on the gauge, almost round to 1 again!

We switched it off, and once cool we bled the radiators. One had a bit air in it but the others were fine (Secondary question: Do the exit valves on radiators have to be closed when bleeding?). After this the pressure when switched off had gone down to 2 bar. We put the heating on again, and within 2 hours the pressure was back up to 3.5 bar (which I think the manual says is the maximum operating pressure).

It's now off again until we know what's going on. Bearing in mind that we are not all that technically minded, does anyone have any suggestions about what might be wrong, and what action we might take? It's cold...

Thanking you in advance
Neil

Sponsored Links
Pressure vessel or the filling loop is passing is the hose disconnected when you finish refilling ?

Hi again

Maybe should also mention that we've got eight radiators all in. 3 are relatively new (4-5 months old). In addition, we had no problems for nearly 9 months until last week.

Thanks again
Neil

Sponsored Links
sime10 said:
Pressure vessel or the filling loop is passing is the hose disconnected when you finish refilling ?

Could you dumb it down for me a bit? Didn't have to do any refilling myself & don't know if our friend did. Is the cold water feed the same thing as the refilling hose? I've had a look at the installation/maintenance manual & can just about make out which are the gas & water inlets & outlets on the bottom! There is a flexible pipe which seems to link the cold water feed and heating system return, but I don't even know if this is supposed to be open or closed, or if it even makes a difference... :(

Cheers
Neil

PS - I count myself lucky that this is the only problem after 9 months!

becbec said:
Maybe should also mention that we've got eight radiators all in.
Maybe should also mention whether or not the filling loop has been left connected. :rolleyes:

Oh go on - disconnect it and give us all something to look forward to in the morning. :evil:

Thanks for your quick replies. Do you people not sleep?!?

Ok...yes Softus it looks like the filling loop is still attached - which means that it has been since we moved in, as we've not touched a thing on it except to switch it on. Cold water feed into the boiler is open. On the filling loop (or at least on the braided hose if that's the same thing), the valve seems shot - it just spins around freely - so I don't know whether or not it's closed properly. Taking it off seems a wet prospect whatever I do.

Just out of curiosity: What will be different, or what will I have to do differently tomorrow to prevent a soaking?

I may well sound a total spangle, but this is the first time I've had central heating, and the obvious to most is still a mystery to me.

Cheers
Neil

Tomorrow turn the main off disconnect that braided hose then get the MRS to stand by it while you turn the main back on, when she shouts turn it off you know something is wrong so turn it off quick.

As for you saying the valve turns freely it will if it's a screwdiver slot valve

becbec said:
...we've not touched a thing on it except to switch it on.
Er, would be it safe to say that you havetouched it then?

On the filling loop (or at least on the braided hose if that's the same thing), the valve seems shot - it just spins around freely - so I don't know whether or not it's closed properly.
Please at least describe the type of valve or the 'handle' that is spinning, or post us a picture.

I may well sound a total spangle, but this is the first time I've had central heating, and the obvious to most is still a mystery to me.
Nobody here expects you to know anything, and this isn't meant to be offensive, but accurate descriptions of the things that you can see (and we can't) and the things that you do, and/or don't do, will save a lot of time all round. ;)

Hi again

The ladywife is working dawn till dusk today so it may have to wait until later tonight, but we will try to take the hose off after switching off the mains as suggested.

sime10 and Softus: Here is a photo of the braided hose & valves. Its the one on the right I'm not sure as to whether it closes porperly or not.

DSC00255.jpg

Hope this makes things a little clearer...

EDIT - Looking in the definitions section, I see this is a standard fill loop, but I'm not sure which join to remove it from.

hi, the black plastic valve is in the off position, make sure the screwdriver slot on the other side is in the same position ie across your valve rather than inline

at the end of the braid, see the small lugs, undo them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back