High voltage battery box ?

11 Jun 2024
Reaction score
Good day,
Complete beginner in solar systems but I have knowledge about electricity/electronics

I was researching to build my own solar panel system and I hit a point where I just don't know how the system is supposed to be built.
So , I want to order 4 x 51,2V 100Ah Lithium batteries and connect them in series to get 204,8V to an 20KW inverter.
What I thought that the 204V output of this battery pack is supposed to be connected to the Inverter directly but I have read between lines about a High voltatge battery box which is supposed to be connected between the battery pack and the inverter though I couldn't find many details..

The question would be, do I need that high voltage box or I can connect the batteries directly to the inverter ?

Sponsored Links
As @Why Not Indeed has said, in the UK we have to use propriety produces which are permitted to be linked to our grid system, and my inverter has a load of dip switches so it can be configured for the country it is being used in.

My inverter will work with up to four 3.2 kWh battery packs, I find one is ample for my needs. However in the Falklands back in the late 80's we had a whole hotel which was going to run on just solar and wind, with a generator only for back up.

I am not sure if you are in Chad or Romania, but either way I have no idea of the countries rules and regulations, most countries except for USA which does not seem to have joined the international standards origination, 0 - 50 volt AC is extra low voltage 75 volt with DC, and 55-0-55 or 64-0-64 both giving 110 is reduced low voltage, below 1000 volt AC is low voltage, etc.

The 50 odd volt battery drops into the extra low voltage bracket, so with many solar installations they use this voltage. So the inverter does all the work integrating the approx 250 volt DC from the solar, the 230 AC volt from/to grid, and the 50 volt DC from/to battery, and also connecting and disconnecting earths and neutrals as required for the country and supply type, here in UK normally TN-C-S.

I have looked at my inverter, there are two safety standards configurations for the UK, but it gives non for Chad or Romania I would think you will need to find a local forum to yourself to find out what is the standard way to do things in your country.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links