Highland Games

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know much about 'Highland Games' meets? Are they all pretty standard or are some better than others? It's likely I will be going to Scotland in the summer (probably August) so I thought I would go to a games as I have never been. Any info would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Try Scotish tourist board, for a list of events as a start off.

Diyisfun said:
Try Scotish tourist board, for a list of events as a start off.

Already found info on the internet but it doesn't say which are the premier games, which have the greatest number of events, atmosphere, etc..

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few events that go on during the summer - and you are right, some are better than others - but I suppose it depends what you prefer - BIG events or smaller 'village' ones :)

The biggest games are probably Braemar (Deeside), although the Inverness ones aren't too bad. I think it is a good idea to check with the tourist board which ones are on when you are here.

Many villages also have 'galas' which usually have Highland Dancing, Pipe Bands, etc - sometimes I think they are better than the Games, but again it is down to personal taste.

Much will depend on what part of Scotland you are visiting and how far you are willing to travel. To give you a rough ideas of distances -

Inverness is 155 miles from Edinburgh, 168 miles from Glasgow.

Glasgow is about 50 miles from Edinburgh.

Perth is 109 miles from Inverness.

Dual Carriageway/Motorway tends to end at Perth northwards.

Post again when you have some more info and I will be glad to give you some more advice :)

Lovely scenery up there ....

I could just Imagine those English Redcoats marching up the Highlands,an killing those jocks ..lol :)

Moz said:
Lovely scenery up there ....

I could just Imagine those English Redcoats marching up the Highlands,an killing those jocks ..lol :)

:eek:
nunu.gif
;)

Gary_M
when walking I can also hear/imagine the musket shots an screams as the jocks were shot......an maybe an aussie wail of a Mel Gibbons.....

Gary_M said:
There are quite a few events that go on during the summer - and you are right, some are better than others - but I suppose it depends what you prefer - BIG events or smaller 'village' ones :)

The biggest games are probably Braemar (Deeside), although the Inverness ones aren't too bad. I think it is a good idea to check with the tourist board which ones are on when you are here.

Many villages also have 'galas' which usually have Highland Dancing, Pipe Bands, etc - sometimes I think they are better than the Games, but again it is down to personal taste.

Much will depend on what part of Scotland you are visiting and how far you are willing to travel. To give you a rough ideas of distances -

Inverness is 155 miles from Edinburgh, 168 miles from Glasgow.

Glasgow is about 50 miles from Edinburgh.

Perth is 109 miles from Inverness.

Dual Carriageway/Motorway tends to end at Perth northwards.

Post again when you have some more info and I will be glad to give you some more advice :)

The intended plan at the moment is to take the ferry from Larne to Stranraer, we will be in a car so mileage isn't too much of a problem (I'd prefer to go on my bike but the missus isn't so keen). It's now seems likely that it will be mid to late July not August. We like traditional things so piping, dancing, etc.. and/or games would be good. At the risk of some 'ooh er missus' I have never seen caber tossing so that would be an experience.

I don't mind travelling to see both types of event if need be but they would have to be within a few days of each other otherwise I will run out of holiday time.

Sponsored Links
Back