Hikvision for IP CCTV system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This company seem to be offering the best value in regards to an IP system and appear to be on most websites.
I can get 2 x 2MP VF cameras, with an NVR (inbuilt POE) and 2TB harddrive for around £400 - 450

I know this company is not UK based but lets face it, a lot of the products we buy these days are not made in the UK.

Anyone used them and are they of suitable quality for home CCTV?

Sponsored Links
The important thing is to get the correct equipment for the job in hand.

You can spend as little or as much as you like, some cameras can cost thousands but do you need it?

As for the HIK Vision brand its decent kit.

Thanks
I have done a fair bit of research and that led me down the route of an IP system. PoE being the main reason if I'm honest. Was going to have fixed lense to save a few pound but I see the advantages of VF and would probably regret it later if I didn't buy them.

Don't dismiss non IP solutions. We use HD-TVI as an HD solution and it works really well. In many ways easier than IP in that the cameras just wire into the DVR and there is no network to set up. You can still use CAT5 cable and there is less chance of voltage drop because you can specify how many pairs of wire you use to transfer 12 volt power from the power supply to the camera. We suggest using 3 pairs of wire for 12 volt power, 1 pair for video. This is particularly relevant with longer cable runs.

Long range IP cameras can be expensive if you need to go over 12mm

You still get full HD 1080P and the DVR will support remote access using computers or mobile devices.

Henry :)

Sponsored Links
Don't dismiss non IP solutions. We use HD-TVI as an HD solution and it works really well. In many ways easier than IP in that the cameras just wire into the DVR and there is no network to set up. You can still use CAT5 cable and there is less chance of voltage drop because you can specify how many pairs of wire you use to transfer 12 volt power from the power supply to the camera. We suggest using 3 pairs of wire for 12 volt power, 1 pair for video. This is particularly relevant with longer cable runs.

Long range IP cameras can be expensive if you need to go over 12mm

You still get full HD 1080P and the DVR will support remote access using computers or mobile devices.

HD-TVI was a close second but I was under the impression you still had to run power to them? if that is wrong then I may take another look at them as the cameras were cheaper and therefore I could probably get better quality cameras for my budget.

Obviously the cameras need power, as do all cameras but you don't have to have 2 cables. For cable runs under about 50 metres or so you can put the camera power supply next to the DVR.

There is a guide to using CAT5 cable for CCTV cameras here: https://www.cctv42.co.uk/help-advice/installation/how-do-you-use-cat5-cable-to-wire-a-cctv-system/

As you can see the connections are easy to do just using a screwdriver. The CAT5 cable only needs a small hole to pull it through walls and so on and there is no danger of damaging pre-made connections.

Obviously the cameras need power, as do all cameras but you don't have to have 2 cables. For cable runs under about 50 metres or so you can put the camera power supply next to the DVR.

There is a guide to using CAT5 cable for CCTV cameras here: https://www.cctv42.co.uk/help-advice/installation/how-do-you-use-cat5-cable-to-wire-a-cctv-system/

As you can see the connections are easy to do just using a screwdriver. The CAT5 cable only needs a small hole to pull it through walls and so on and there is no danger of damaging pre-made connections.

I have done quite a bit of research but I honestly didn't know this could be done.... may have to rethink my approach now.

A lot of people think if you want to remote access your CCTV system you have to go down the IP route which you don't and that the only way to use CAT5 cable and send power down it is to go down the IP route which it isn't !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back