Hill Billy Hi Lite golf trolley motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've serviced a Hi Lite golf trolley for an aunt.

My aunt said you push a golf trolley rather than pull it.

When I reassembled the trolley, after cleaning out the motor carbon brush dust, I reconnected the motor wires putting brown to brown and blue to blue which spun the motor in the wrong direction for the wheel hub clutches to work.

Swapping the wires round got the motor spinning in the right direction for the drive so the trolley pulls away from you.

Just curious why the two coloured motor wires needed to be swapped over to get the motor spinning in the right direction?

Sponsored Links
Its a DC motor mate - reversing the polarity reverses the direction.
Maybe you have got a cross connection elsewhere?
John :)

The two wires that feed the motor are attached to a small PCB at the other end.

What I'm thinking is that the NiCad battery lead ends are the wrong way round on the battery terminals - I'll have to check.

There's three leads, all that connect on to the PCB -

the battery lead

the lead from the on/off/speed control switch

the lead (the two wires I mentioned above) that connect to the motor.

Any way the trolley is running nicely now.

Sponsored Links
I hadn't given the amount of walking around a golf course any thought when I fixed the trolley I mentioned above for my aunt.

She's retired so she no doubt appreciates the assistance from the trolley motor when getting around.

I would not expect battery wrong way around or it would have blown something. More likely the designer of trolley did not know you push them?

Pedestrian controlled devices are not that easy to design so it can't run the user over when it motors towards one. Be it a wheel chair, lawn mower or Rotavator it drives away from operator not towards them.

When I googled it looks so similar to my mothers wheel chair assisting motor which adds onto an existing wheel chair.

The wheels trail behind the pivot bar but there is really nothing to stop one mounting whole motor other way around so it pulls the chair rather than pushing it and I am sure with some chairs one has to do it that way.

So the motor may be other way around to normal so would need connections swapping to match.

Ref: spin the clutches round

That's what I've done - a 20 second job. Now the trolley pulls away from you as required.

I checked the battery connections and they are the right polarity.

The trolley was bought second hand so I suspect the motor isn't the original since the wires need to be brown to blue and blue to brown for it to work.

Apart from the two motor wires, wheels and clutches, everything on the trolley only fits one way.

I suppose a golf trolley can be pushed or pulled, depending on preference?

Sponsored Links
Back