HILMOR CONDUIT BENDER ( SHORTIE )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any trick of the trade in using a conduit bender with thin wall galv conduit as when i´ve passed the 45º mark it´s tending to crease. I used the same machine for years with conduit thinker wall for threading but this push on fit crap conduit just does not seem to go 90º without ****ing up.

( filling it with sand is better but not how i´d like it )

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure as we only fit heavy guage on the steel conduit, but would it be possible to get a bending spring? Like the one you use for PVC conduit? (or better still would a PVC spring fit?)

Hi RF

The PVC spring thing i´ve tried. The tube i can tell you now is rubbish. Are you using push on coupling in the UK on galv tube or are you still using the stock and dies ?

I still have a few sets of stocks etc :eek: , but in 1987 I remember using my first 'mechanical threader', ( the company had one between 20 sparks and mates)

Dont we just love a properly installed 'heavy duty' wasall conduit system, when its 'on show':cool: !

In my opinion, one of the most rewarding tasks when you get the chance to do one.
Might heating the bend slightly help ??

On the other side of things it can be amusing with seemingly simple 'sets' that have somehow 'gone so wrong' :LOL: ,

I remember us having to get rid of a bundle a day min on one job where there were no 'runs' of over 2 lengths, up in a office suspended ceiling and we had one bender per pair ( chucking the odd bit under the 'raised' floor on bad days):LOL:

My best was in the 80's when the 'older sparks' hid the scaffold tube, and informed the very young and green me, that I had to bend the 32mm galv , they let me struggle for a good hour, all ten stone of me hanging of the 'arm' was very amusing to them :LOL: !!,

Sponsored Links
You could try using the same principle as a bending block. Just before the conduit starts to crease stop and pull a little bit more tube into the bender. You will get a slightly slower bend bit it will be crease free.

Thanks Pensdown it looks OK but not perfect i´ve been to try it tonight come back think gauge all is forgiven :LOL:

That´s one of only a few things i miss about the UK power trunking, distance saddles, conduit boxes, couplins, bushes, think gauge galv conduit & nipples :eek: i´ve got one of those but he´s not back in work until tomorrow morning. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back