Hinge jigs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get some kit to speed up fitting hinges to doors and frames. Has anyone had experience of using hinge jigs? And if so can they recommend a good one. I've seen the Trend ones for about £160 but this seems quite expensive to me. There is a laminate one on Ebay at the moment for about £56 inc p&p and I was wondering if that might be any good.
I searched the forum for some info on hinge jigs but there wasn't much said. There was a guy that suggested using a laminate trimmer to cut out for hinges. I'm assuming this would have to be free-hand? Won't the base of the tool prevent you from making the cut on the door frame?
Any advice will be grately appreciated.
Gcol

Sponsored Links
Always used to use a laminate trimmer on the door, never tried it on the frame although I see your point about it being difficult because of the shape of the frame. Don't know if you could use any kind of router on the frame. The Trend jigs would stop you needing to measure and mark the door I suppose, I would get one if I did a lot.

To use the laminate trimmer, mark the top & bottom edges of the hinge and chop with a chisel across the grain. Then set the fence on the trimmer to the width of the hinge and then you can't go too far across the door. Work upto your chisel cuts. It's pretty quick and easy once you've done a few, and very tidy.

gcol said:
I want to get some kit to speed up fitting hinges to doors and frames. Has anyone had experience of using hinge jigs?
Yes. Made my own from plywood and beech (being a cheapskate). I've been looking at this myself and the Trend jig has been recommended to me by several people I know. It needs a router which can take a guide bush, though, which excludes laminated trimmers. If you don't do many a butt hinge jig (Stanley, et al) and a sharp chisel or a freehand laminate trimmer do quite well, but you can't beat a router and template for volume.

Scrit

Thanks for the replies guys.

Scrit, do you know if you can use the Trend jig on the frame too? I can't imagine how it will go because of the step in the frame.

Thanks,
Gcol

Sponsored Links
Thanks Scrit. But is there something wrong with that link? I've never heard of "Ask the trades".
Gcol

This forum automatically moderates out references to other fora. They are a .co.uk and just take out the spaces - until they moderate out this one - alternatively Google it from the UK only and you'll find it. Alternatively PM me from Charley's site :LOL:

Scrit

you definitely can use the jig on the frame.i dont know how to put a link on,but if you go to the Trend web page you can download the instructions.PS has anyone got one of the trend t-tech perspex jigs that they sell b&q,im thinking of buying one for when the hinge has already been chopped out on the frame and the apperitures on the metal 2m trend hinge jig(the type originaly discussed) dont line up .Hope that makes sense.cheers steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back