Hinge jigs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to speed up my door hanging, can anyone recommend a good hinge jig. The Trend contractor looks good but around £180 sounds expensive, what about the Progrip from Axminster, anything better?

Sponsored Links
I have a faithfull hinge jig £170.00 does 3inch and 4inch hinges at preset heights i.e 150 225 and the one in the middle if you need it, you can use it both on the door and the lining, however the problem I find with hinge jigs and hinges is that the cut out in the jig hardly ever reflects the size of the hinge, i.e to small or wide and you can end up with a sloppy fit.

I prefer to mark the door edge i.e 150, 225 etc, place the hinge on the door edge and draw the outline of it, then using a 1/4 router and guide, router out the hinge cut and then use a cornering device that you hit with a hammer to square the corners. Where the linings/frames are concerned I router the hinge cuts in before they are put in, "saves time in the long run". "Practise makies perfect"

Otherwise, I just use a chisel :D

In the past I have used a hinge jig - Trend - didn't really get on with this and a waste of time for 1 or 2 doors. I have used a home made template and small router/laminate trimmer and squaring off edges. But recently came across the Lie Neilsen Butt mortice chisel - only 70 odd quid and a relevation, you just mark out the hinge with a marking knife and away you go, easy for doors, frames and lock plates once you get used to the procedure it takes seconds. Great little tool to look at too. For me its superior to all other methods - quicker and after a little practice as accurate as you like.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, I'm going to try the lie nielsen Butt Mortice Plane first. How do you set the hinge width especialy for wide hinges as the plane blade is only 3/8th or 19mm, is it done by eye after I mark around the hinge leaf?

Obviously you make the outline of the hinge recesss to be cut with a marking knife or marking gauge and chisel whichever you use. Then you set the depth of the plane blade to the thickness of the hinge then start from the outside of the door with the plane working in - so your first "cut" will only be using say half the width of the blade then work your way in. The important part is to make sure that you have marked the hinge out deep enough - this ensures that the blade of the plane does not take out too much/cut over your marks. Sounds quite involved but after practicing on some scrap cutting out a couple of hinges, I have been able to cut out a hinge recess/mortice in seconds.

Hey, I have had an Axminster jig for a few years and for the money (£40), it is really good. I cut six rebates for hinges yesterday and it took just minutes. I also use the corner chisel you strike with a hammer and it helps. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back