Where to position a hinge when fitting a door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how much of the cylindrical part of a hinge should be sticking out when fitting a door?

I bought a hinge jig, set it up and routered my first hinge slot. Placing the hinge in after I see a gap at the long flat end opposite the pin, which implies the pin end should be sunk into the frame a bit, but that then means it cannot be routered in which rather makes the hinge jig pointless

I can set the jig differently to remove the gap quite easily, just wondered if I should or if there is a rule? The current setting comes from following the instructions as to where to place the hinge in the jig when aligning the stops, though the instructions may be a bit ropey as I've found a few errors elsewhee in the diagrams

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
Take the recess width from the side of the hinge with the small notches at the knuckle edge

Butt Hinge 3in 001 02.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back