Door cases; what order to do things?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
THe missus has decided the carpet has to be fitted is coming Sunday so I've got a lot of skirting to fit. I suppose this also means the door cases need fitting, and the architraves..

So I was reasonably organised, picked up a hinge jig for the doors and cases, and some rounded hinges that don't need corner chiselling, allegedly..

But now my slight dilemmma is regarding fitting the door cases. The cases are just strip wood, cut to length and fitted. I'm thinking to fit the legs and forget the heads in case I don't have time but this kinda means I can't router the hinge slots because I don't know for certain where the head is, as the visible length of the leg(into which the jig is placed) is determined by the head when butting the jig up to the head.

As such, I think I might end up having to router the hinge slots after the leg has been fitted, which apparently makes it a lot harder work

Should I instead be looking to work out the leg length required for any given door, cutting the legs to that, jigging/routing the door, then jigging/routing the leg (the jig being 5mm further down the leg than it is down the door) then fitting the legs and cutting the head appropriately?

Sponsored Links
fit the heads first it will still be a doddle with the jig

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back