router jigs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a load of doors and was thinking of getting a hinge jig. Looking at the websites the recommendation is a min 1600w router. I have an old b&d router which is nowhere near 1600w so had a look at a new router. Bearing in mind I only want this for occasional use, the prices seem uneconomical as decent makes are around the £200 mark. I have seen a bosch green router, rated at 1400w, which is around the £70 mark. Given the limited use, would this be okay to use with a jig.

One other use would be to use to fit a couple of mortice locks. I'm happy to leave this if 1400w would be under-powered and stick to drill and chisel.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Hinges themselves don't sit very deep, so you could use a small 1/4 router if need be. Locks and mortices defo need a beast, so yeh, chisel away.

I've never used a hinge jig before. A combination of chisel and router works fine for me. as for routers there are plenty of really good second hand ones about.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I have bought a small Trend hinge Jig and had a go with my trusty B&D router. This worked a treat. It looks like the 'recommended 1600w router' is in place for all of these jigs, but only the lock and worktop jigs really need that power.

I'll look at a more powerful router, when I use it enough to justify the outlay. Just saw a Dewalt DW624 go on ebay for £120. I could stretch to that, over the 1400w bosch.

Cheers

Paul

I made my own jigs out 9mm mdf, that way I can use the guideboshes and cutters I already have, I even made one to mortice tubular latches and the face plates. A couple of hours with some bits of scrap saved several hours hanging doors.
IMHO bought jigs can be very over priced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back