Router buying advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a router to use generally for some work that I need to complete in my home.

I have looked at a few and I am somewhat confused what to look for in a router. Hence I wanted some advice what to look for in a router and which one would people recommend.

My budget is around the £100 mark - I was looking at a Makita RP0900X does anyone recommend

Sponsored Links
table mounted or worktop cutting 1/2" hand held 1/4"
what are the jobs you have lined up for it??
keep in mind the router is the cheap part off the setup

table mounted or worktop cutting 1/2" hand held 1/4"
what are the jobs you have lined up for it??
keep in mind the router is the cheap part off the setup

I am to router out things like draft proof installation around door frames and also refurbish some sash windows.

I was looking at 1/4 handhelds, hence the makita model.

Which would you buy? Bosch Router POF 1200 AE for £49 or a Trend T4EK for £69?

Sponsored Links
although i have several routers i have neither
i also have never used one for channels in door frames for draught or intumescent strips so don't know the requirements so will let someone else pick this up :D

I generally prefer a 1/2" router although sometimes the weight can go against it especially if you are working overhead. One feature I've found to be worthwhile looking for is a slow start. My 1/4" Bosch doesn't have it and there is always a kick when it's first started up. The on switch is also situated on top which isn't very ergonomic.
If you are doing intermescent strips and the like I'd advise getting one of these cutters-
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-intumescent-strip-router-cutters-prod834745/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back