Router recommendations

E

EddieM

Anyone recommend a 1/4 and 1/2 inch router as my ex has carelessly mislaid them. I used to have both a 1/4 and 1/2 inch makita router, but the new bosch ones look good. suggestions (for when i have enough money to replace them!!)

Sponsored Links
For the 1/2 I would say the Makita with the electric brake ,very handy for stop and start jig work,For 1/4"I would be interested in looking at the new generation of palm routers

if you have the dosh then get a festo. ;)
had my 1/4 inch 1 now for over 16 years.great bit of kit.

If funds allow the festool all day! if not makita, i own both, can't fault either

Sponsored Links
"Anyone recommend a 1/4 and 1/2 inch router as my ex has carelessly mislaid them"

She's ebayed them mate, look there first lol.

Anyone recommend a 1/4 and 1/2 inch router as my ex has carelessly mislaid them. I used to have both a 1/4 and 1/2 inch makita router, but the new bosch ones look good. suggestions (for when i have enough money to replace them!!)

I lost a good fishing rod the same way,A woman spurned eh

I think she gave them to her "new" man, which is even more galling :( women eh!

are you talking diy to light trade or full trade use ??

can you guess where this is going :D

what's the biggest kind of job you'd expect a 1/4" palm router to handle?

And, why the need for a 1/4" and a 1/2" model? Will the 1/2" not do ALL jobs?

your definitely far better with several routers lol

the usual is one table mounted and a handy little router for light work

balancing a huge half inch router on a12- 20mm edge for a small molding can be a frightening experience if your not used to it :eek:

wow your clever lol
as routers go i have several like most bench joiners do
the ones that get most use are my ryobi r600 18v trimmers/ 1/4 routers mostly for fine edge detail but they will at a push do a 7x7mm rebate in one at a push rather than the 2 passes that are sensible
i have several cheap 1/4" routers but recently bought the dewalt duel base [1 year ago]not cheap at £225 from axminster but an awsome bit off kit but if its for occasional use then ryobi is worth consideration
i have the old et1150 that is a compromise as in a 1/2 inch routed but only for light work at 1150w yes i know it says 1/4 inch but it takes a 1/2" cutter but as i say not up to heavy duty 12 work
the good thing about ryobi is spares and service are available and often gteed for 2 years

i also have a hitachi under the table that never comes out except for worktops as the e1150 can do most middle jobs with 1/2" cutters

For the 1/2 I would say the Makita with the electric brake ,very handy for stop and start jig work,For 1/4"I would be interested in looking at the new generation of palm routers

Hi there!

I'm a newbie on the forum and just starting out on doing some DIY for other people (if you see what I mean)... I'm by no means professional. This is my first post so be gentle!

I thought I'd do things right for a change and research my next tool before I bought it. That seems to have been my first big mistake!

So I know I want a palm router, particularly as I want to get all 'creative' with free-form routed designs on doors etc. I'll also be using it to cut holes for kitchen door hinges and the like, plus shaping picture frame moldings etc. Nothing too heavy - I have a big Erbauer for that sort of stuff.

I'd decided on the Bosch GKF600 with all the extras. But then I noticed that all my bits have max. speeds of between 18,000 & 24,000 rpm whereas (you know where this is going!) the Bosch has a fixed speed of 33,000.

The bits themselves come with some dire warnings about exceeding the given maximums. I've seen some forum threads where people argue that 'taking it easy' with a couple of gentle passes is OK, despite the difference in specifications - but I'm reluctant to see a router bit exploding in my face.

Strangely, the Bosch 'Colt' seems to be almost perfect for me - but it doesn't seem that you can get it in the UK. Why the heck not?

So some advice would be much appreciated. Should I go with the Bosch and be careful and/or buy some new, higher spec bits (if 33,000 rated bits actually exist). Or is there a good alternative?

As I say, it needs to be palm held - I've already tried a drop of creativity with the twin 'eared' 1/4" handle versions and failed miserably.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back