What router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old router has started making some funny noises and I'm just about to start cutting loads of shapes from mdf So time for a new one.
I want to spend around £100 ish and was looking at this...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/1500w-router-kit/invt/186884/?source=123_74

I have a 1/4 inch now and a box of cutters but as I need to cut 18mm mdf I'm thinking 1/2 inch would be better ?
Any advice on a good budget make would be appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
For 18mm MDF a 1/2in router would be a better choice, but bear in mind that with a non-"brand" DIY make you'll never get that much life expectancy and that if (when) you need to get spares in the future they'll like as not be unavailable (Google PowerPro routers and see what I mean). If the budget will stretch that far you'd probably be better of with something like a Hitachi - there are currently some stunning deals on the M12VE at the moment which probably won't last - comparable routers from deWalt, Makita, etc are around £50 to £100 more. There's nothing wrong with the quality of the Hitachi, but they are probably trying to get back into the market having "dropped the ball" with the previous "transformers" model, the M12V2 the styling of which isn't to that many people's taste

One thing to be aware of with a 1/2in plunge router is that they are much bigger and heavier than a 900 watt 1/4in router (although the Hitachi is actually lighter than the Draper you linked to at 5.3kg vs. 7kg) and can take a bit of getting used to

Found the M2VE even cheaper here - at £155 that's a even more of a bargain

i have the original around 15 years old now still going strong
as j&n says around 3 times the size and 3 times the weight

the noise on your old router may just be the bearings or brushes both quite easy to do

Sponsored Links
I've got that Erbuar £100 router from Screwfix. I'm annoyed with buying it as its diy disposable tat but it seems fustratingly solid and will be a long time before I wear it out so I can get a Makita.

the noise on your old router may just be the bearings or brushes both quite easy to do

im a bit like norm from new yankee wotsit. :LOL:

ive also got 1 of these.

also own a performance pro :rolleyes:
and a freud hinge router

but the 1 i always use is my festo 1/4 shank jobby :LOL: which is like yours BIGS over 15 years old.and this has seen a lot of work and the only thing replaced in that time was the variable speed switch,iirc that cost 50 odd quid just for the part. :eek:

im a bit like norm from new yankee wotsit. :LOL:

ive also got 1 of these.

also own a performance pro :rolleyes:
and a freud hinge router

but the 1 i always use is my festo 1/4 shank jobby :LOL: which is like yours BIGS over 15 years old.and this has seen a lot of work and the only thing replaced in that time was the variable speed switch,iirc that cost 50 odd quid just for the part. :eek:

i have heard so much about norm i have seen a few you tube links but refuse to get sky or virgin on principle
can you watch him on freesat :D

There's nobody quite like knock-it-out-with-a-nail-gun-Norm! The originator of the term "safety guards removed for clarity"........ :rolleyes:

look out for a hitachi 1/2" router M12VE or a makita 1/4" RP0900X i have both and they are mighty, i use the 1/4" for smaller work and the 1/2" for larger work.these are both are great routers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back