Router recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I couldn't see any suitable threads about this searching, so hopefully i'm not missing something and repeating this...

[ OK, I am... the search on this site seems poor, but a similar thread on the same page.. blimey, sorry... ]

I'm looking at buying a router on a moderate budget, but don't want to be caught out. As I've never used one I'm not clued up enough to know what I do and don't need. Mostly though I don't want total junk. I think I should be looking at 1500W and upwards (although screwfix have a 850W Makita for £100 which seems to skew things for me a little) a 1/2 collet, and past that I don't really know. I'm primarily planning on making shelves in alcoves and would like to think that I can save the cost of a suitable router in the cheaper materials fairly quickly, so am prepared to speculate to accumulate, but after suitable cutters I'd not really want to be breaking £120 to £150 and it still to be working in a decade - but I work in IT, it won't suffer too much over the years.

Can someone clarify the wattage needs? If the router is good enough, how much does power matter? A number of people here like Ryobi it seems... would I need more than their 1150W model for casual use, or might i regret it?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
big routers are for cutting worktops and mounting under tables for using with fancy large cutters;)
you can off course do delicate free hand with them but thats like writing a letter with a paint brush

if you are new go for a router up to 850w or there abouts these are light and easier to handle especialy in untrained hands
go for 1/4 inch cutters

then after a year or so when you have been bitten by the router bug then you can look at a 1600w+ for mounting under a table you can still use your 1/4" cutters in the table but now you will start buying 1/2 as well

thats what i paid for mines give or take £5

dont know why they call it a 1/4" as its a 1/2" !!!
perhaps the call it 1/4" to reduce expectations
it is a bit on the heavy side for freehand and underpowered for a table only realy a heavy duty 1/4" router or a lightweight 1/2" router not sutable for panel cutters worktop cutters or any other large cutters it will accept them but you will need to do 2 passes where 1 would do or 4 where 2 would do and maybe 5 where 3 would do:cool:

exactly what jobs are you planning for the router in the future!!!

Sponsored Links
I'll go for that... well actually, not that as that is the previous model AFAIK. but https://www.toolstop.co.uk/ryobi-ert1150vn-1/4inch-1150w-router-240v-with-8-assorted-cutters-p10708 seems fine for the newer N model, quite what the difference is i've no idea.

As for what I'm doing in the future, i've not a clue, I just don't like spending my hardish earned money on stuff I don't understand! I'd imagine all that table mounting stuff will come into play at some point, fair to say I'm not really even too sure just how much I can use it for.

Thanks for the green light.

check the router cutters when you get them 3 off mines where off centre to the guide bearing so needed to be chucked but i do have over 300 cutters so aint bothered

dont forget router matt ptfe lub spray and 2 clamps from toolstation

i suggest you buy a 20 to 40 peice 1/4 inch set for around £1 a cutter from toolstation rutlands screwfix ect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back