Router Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally worked out that I'll be able to make our remaining windows in less time than I spend on the phone to the joiners - they're good but very busy (first batch close to a year late by the time everything was sorted).

My ancient B&D 1/4in router was just up to the test pieces to convince myself (and my wife:) that I could do it, but I need a new one to do 15 fairly sizeable windows (and maybe the internal doors later as well). 1/2inch I assume? Stuff to avoid? I've been getting some Ryobi stuff lately which seems to be better made and more useable than usual DIY but not as expensive as DeWalt etc. (which for most things I can't justify) - are their 1/2 inch routers any good? Or should I be paying more? Given the cost saving I can justify spending a fair bit on router and cutters but don't want to go nuts if there's no point.

Thanks in advance,
Neal

Sponsored Links
For that kind of workload you really want to steer clear of the cheaper end of the market and go for the mid range 1/2" Routers at the least but I would plump for the best DeWalt / Makita / Freud that you can afford because they will definately be better suited and if you find that you don't need it afterwards then the resale value should still be fairly reasonable so bang it on E-Bay and draw some of the cost back. I would have advised buying on E-Bay but I know it is not everyone's cup of tea where electrical tools are concerned.

DAZB, thanks for the feedback - sorry about the delay in replying (been away for work). I'm happy to buy off ebay with sensible precautions - but somehow I doubt I'd ever sell a nice 1/2in router:)

My builder reckons I need a morticer as well - seems a bit much for around six mortices per window? I was going to square them off with a chisel. He has offered to lend me his router table though:)

Regards,
Neal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back