Best router to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to purchase a decent router to tackle a kitchen worktop and General DIY around the house. I would love to get a makita or dewalt but my budget doesn't stretch that far!! After spending a few days looking at reviews I am none the wiser. Can anyone give me advice on what the best router is to buy for between 100 - 150 pounds please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have a read around on here, I asked the same thing a year ago. I eventually got a Hitachi machine. You need a 1/2 inch router for worktop joints.

The thread I made had some very helpful answers.

The best router is 2 routers. You need a big 1/2" for certain jobs but it will be too big and unmanageable for the the little jobs. I use my 1/4" router 95% of the time. That might blow the budget unless you go 2nd hand.

Sponsored Links
The best router is 2 routers. You need a big 1/2" for certain jobs but it will be too big and unmanageable for the the little jobs. I use my 1/4" router 95% of the time. That might blow the budget unless you go 2nd hand.

or 3 ;)

as nickjb says a hand held 1/4" will get far more use as a 1/2" is very heavy and can be quite daunting
if you have never used a router brown underpants are recommended ;)
apart from worktops a 1/2" is most useful under a router table

i have the older version off the hitachi tis a nice router but spends many a month unused under the router table

cannot vouch for this company but the hitch is available at around £150
https://www.toolbritannia.co.uk/ele...RMmLh2fShvcKO0nUJUNBrV5YGmPzmm98NQaAqbh8P8HAQ

I got a week old Makita 3612 on flee bay a while back, they are out there to be had. If you have never used one before be careful they can be lethal, get a guidance book and read up on the dangers they can put you into before use, even then still be careful, they will take no prisoners.

Look here http://www.newwoodworker.com/rtrfeeddir.html and other places for info on using them.

Aldi currently have a corded router on offer AND a router table. Buying both together (if I remember correctly) is only around £55.00. Both are branded WorkZone, and come with a 3-year warranty. I did notice that there is also a router bit set kit available as well. I have bought several Workzone products (but not these particular ones), and find them quite adequate for the use I am giving them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back