help with choosing a router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of help choosing my first router as I really dont know very much about them, so any advice for me on best type to go for appreciated.
needs, Am looking at doing some edging on my coffee table and side table and want to make some small open type units for my bathroom so will be wanting dovetail jig as well. I know I dont really need to use that jig but I just want to try that way of doing the corners of the units..
I was looking at the Ryobi 1150 in screwfix for £70 but have been told that to use templates and guides I will need a sub base at about £26 which makes it nearly£100. not a problem paying that, its drilling holes in the router base and the fact to remove the base every time so I can put router in its case when I've finished.
So I had a quick look at the trend range of routers and like the look of the T5EB £125 as it will take the guides with no hassel at all ..
Do Trend make good routers and is it worth paying the extra so I dont need to mess with a sub base ?
Are there any others to look at that are good and will take guide bushes directly, and dont really want to pay more than about £140

Sponsored Links
yoyo, I bought the same ryobi router a while back, and am very pleased with it!!! I also bought the trend sub base a couple of months ago, which is great. If you get it straight from trend, or a trend agent, trend will drill the holes for you, so it's ready to just fit.

No need to worry about taking it off each time to store it. I cut the inside of the case to fit with it on, very easy to do as it's only the botttom section where the flat side of the ryobi base sits which needs changing.

If your happy to pay the extra for the trend model, then they are well worth it..... most people on here will put them at the top of the tree!

you can buy a trend uni-base for a lot less that £26 and that will fit most models of router
the trend router is a far better bit of kit though

Sponsored Links
Had another look and a think about it, and am going to go with a Trend router as they seem to be highly regarded and it takes the messing with the base away, but does any one know the difference between these 2
Trend T5EB £125
Trend T5EK mk2 £137
Thanks for the quick replies

----Just found out the difference , EK has kit box and fine height adjuster and the EB is basic version without fine height and no kit box..So I will go for the EK version .. now all I need to know is how to use one and should I stock up on bandages and plasters :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back