strange work top jig ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive been doing some kitchen work tops for my self ,, the work top jig i have is a trend 650 combi jig,,,,,, as my router had a 30mm guide fitted,, i found this did not fit ,, i measured the trend jig and it needs a 37mm guide for the male and femail joints and a 32mm guide for the jointing bolt guide ,,,, why is this is this normal ??? it looks as its come from the factory like this ,,, but i do not know as i was given it ,,, looking on the net guides are 30mm and 40mm any thoughts

Sponsored Links
ive been doing some kitchen work tops for my self ,, the work top jig i have is a trend 650 combi jig,,,,,, as my router had a 30mm guide fitted,, i found this did not fit ,, i measured the trend jig and it needs a 37mm guide for the male and femail joints and a 32mm guide for the jointing bolt guide ,,,, why is this is this normal ??? it looks as its come from the factory like this ,,, but i do not know as i was given it ,,, looking on the net guides are 30mm and 40mm any thoughts
Looking in the Trend manual (on page 4) it specifically states 1/2in (12.7mm) diameter cutter and 30mm guide bush is required. Every UK-market worktop jig I've ever used requires the same combination with (to date) the sole exception of the Festool jig (12mm cutter + 30mm GB). In order to get the guide bush to travel freely in the groove there is an addition 1 to 2mm in the width of the slot over the diameter of the guide bush. To make use of this the majority of the cuts are made away from the finished edge side of the slot. The final pass, at full depth, is made against the finished edge side of the slot (this makes for a much better quality edge). If the groove were dead on 30mm the guide bush would jam all the time. So are you sure you've got things right?

i do see the point of the guide having say .5 mm clearence but 7mm is way to big,,, may be that it has been modified? if it has its been done its been done profesionaly and for a reason,,, and why two differant sizes,,, i have veiwed utube but they seem to show the guide being a perfect fit to the template,,,,, ive rechecked the guide and it is 32mm and 37mm i have just veiwed a trend on utube and it seems to show the guide being a very slack fit in the template,,, can any one confirm this?,,,,

Sponsored Links
As a rule it's a bit more than 0.5mm for the reasons I gave. I wonder if you've ended up with a miscut, there? (where the phenolic has moved on the bed of the CNC router machining it for some reason, such as vacuum loss). Two questions; have you tried to make a joint with this jig (and if so did it work) and have you talked to Trend technical in Watford? They are generally very helpful I've found

no i have never used it,,, my new worktops are oak and i have used only the part were you route for the bolts to pull the tops together,,, these are fine as they measure 32mm and thinking about it may be correct ?? i was given this jig some years ago and do not know its age or history,, but it looks as if its had little use

Not being funny mate, but if you don't know what you are doing, please don't just jump on your solid oak worktops. If you can't get someone to do it, practice a few times with some old off cuts. I think the different sizes you mention sound like it could be for different widths of worktop.

There is always then the issue of which direction to move the router (left, right, push or pull and which side of the worktop you want facing you when you make the cut. (Laminate needs to be the right way up depending on which direction you are cutting in. Wood is a little more forgiving, but too fas you rip it, to slow you burn and gouge into it.

You cut the joints first, if you are happy then 2 tops fit together, then cut the keyholes for locking them together. If you mess up, pull back an inch and redo it until you are happy. The last cut you make would be the flat end. (The one you would have to glue an end to if laminate)

hi dane chip ive fitted all the worktops now and there spot on no filler or glue needed ,,, its just that i dont often use a router,, as im a plumber,,, my reason i ask about the jig is that i may need to use it in the future,,,,, i would say the oak was in my oppinion was better than laminate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back