Router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased (actually a birthday present) an Eberth router table, hoping to use my Ryobi router. No such luck. Can anyone suggest an economical router with a faceplate no larger than 155mm diameter which will work with this table. It is for very occasional DIY use so does not need to be too expensive.

Sponsored Links
I have just purchased (actually a birthday present) an Eberth router table, hoping to use my Ryobi router. No such luck. Can anyone suggest an economical router with a faceplate no larger than 155mm diameter which will work with this table. It is for very occasional DIY use so does not need to be too expensive.

I'd have generally thought most routers would be universally fit. If it's erbauer, try erbauer routers. I have a 1/2" erbauer which is fine for what it cost.

Can you really not make your existing router fit? You can drill extra holes in the mounting plate or make up some clamps. If it really can't fit then I'd go for something second had rather than a cheap new one. Dewalt, elu or trend

If it really can't fit then I'd go for something second had rather than a cheap new one. Dewalt, elu or trend
To that I'd add Hitachi, Makita and Bosch - but I'd drop Elu because the last Elu branded stuff came out of the factory in 1999 which means that for some models parts are now near impossible to obtain

Sponsored Links
the last Elu branded stuff came out of the factory in 1999 which means that for some models parts are now near impossible to obtain

Good point but didn't most of the Elu routers get rebranded as Dewalt?

They did indeed, The MOF179 (a reworked MOF96, sold in the UK as the B&D SR100) became the DW613, the MOF96 became the DW614, the MOF96e became the DW615, the OF97 turned into the DW620 whilst the OF97e became the DW621. The DW622 (same size as the DW620/621) is a more recent introduction. I reckon that quality dropped off a bit when they moved production from Germany and Switzerland to Italy in the late 1990s and that when it moved again to Slovenia it didn't really improve. Either way the DW stuff I have is still streets ahead of the average Chinese-made lump.

They did indeed, The MOF179 (a reworked MOF96, sold in the UK as the B&D SR100) became the DW613, the MOF96 became the DW614, the MOF96e became the DW615, the OF97 turned into the DW620 whilst the OF97e became the DW621. The DW622 (same size as the DW620/621) is a more recent introduction. I reckon that quality dropped off a bit when they moved production from Germany and Switzerland to Italy in the late 1990s and that when it moved again to Slovenia it didn't really improve. Either way the DW stuff I have is still streets ahead of the average Chinese-made lump.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Much appreciated.

Am a tad confused about the B&D SR100- are they part of the same group as Dewalt?

as an aside
the spare part list for the elu and dewalt equivillent use identical number or at least they used to

Thanks for the history lesson.

Much appreciated.

Am a tad confused about the B&D SR100- are they part of the same group as Dewalt?

Attachments

• Stanley-Black-and-Decker-Parent-Company-of-These-Brands.jpg
    Stanley-Black-and-Decker-Parent-Company-of-These-Brands.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 228
Black & Decker own the deWalt brand and for more than 10 years have also owned Porter-Cable in the USA. Did you know that Black & Decker were the original inventors of the NiCd cordless tools way back in the 1960s and that some of their tools were used on the NASA missions to the moon? They bought the original deWalt firm from AMF in the 1960s. At that time DW manufactured radial arm saws in the USA, but B&D then opened another DW factory in Italy which branched out into mitre saws, small bandsaws, planer/thicknessers, etc. By the late 1960s a mixture of light trade and DIY tools were being produced, some badged as "Black & Decker", others as "deWalt by Black & Decker".

AFAIK B&D started to buy into Eugen Lutz in the late 1970s and the fruits of this were the introduction of Elu plunge routers to the US market as well as the introduction of the highly successful Elu cordless tool range in Europe (these subsequently became DW). In the absence of a decent plunge router of their own (B&D only had the DN66 DIY model in Europe whilst in the USA their designs were all fixed base models fundamentally dating back to the the 1950s, some of which were also made in the UK) B&D had Elu redesign/restyle their successful MOF96 model and this became the B&D SR100. AFAIK, unlike Elu routers, which were then either manufactured by Elu in Germany or under sub-contract by Scintilla (now part of Bosch) in Switzerland, the SR100 was manufactured by B&D themselves at Spennymoor in the UK. This model was subsequently also sold as the Elu MOF179 (mainly in Germany) and later on as the deWalt DW613.

In the late 1980s DW in the USA divested themselves of the American end of deWalt business (heavy radial arm saws) to a management buy-out which subsequently traded as "The Original Saw Co" whilst in Europe all DW products were rebranded "Elu" and reliveried silver (as opposed to the former metallic green colour).

Yet later B&D changed direction again and reintroduced the deWalt brand and a new yellow livery. This "new" brand contained not only the original DW tools and many of the Elu tools, but also included some of the tools from the old Black & Decker Industrial line-up (made in Canada, USA, Mexico, UK, Germany and elsewhere by that time) and led to a rationalisation and deletion of duplicated model lines (mainly from the old Industrial line). Some tools, such as almost the entire line of Elu circular saws were replaced by non-Elu designed tools (in the case of the circular saws B&D introduced models designed in the USA as both DW and Elu - these were universally big and clumsy beasts), buty in general most of the Elu designs were retained and some models which had been dropped when Elu "went silver" were even reintroduced (e.g. the MOF11 heavy router motor). Throughout this period the Elu brand and livery were retained in Europe where it had a reasonable market share, but was dropped in the USA where it hadn't achieved significant market penetration. DW was to be the new world brand - partly, I once read, because the "Elu" brand was still owned by the Lutz family who still owned another firm trading under the same name/logo which manufactured window manufacturing equipment. That led to the demise of the Elu brand on power tools in about 1999 whilst the window manufacturing line subsequently became "Elumatic" and are still going today.

Another change which occurred in the 1990s was the move of much of the manufacturing from Germany and Switzerland to Italy and Slovenia (in Europe). It must be obvious that as Bosch increased their presence in the industrial power tool market that they were never going to allow production of a competitor brand (i.e. deWalt) by their subsidiary Scintilla, so in the 1990s some Elu/DW manufacturing moved to B&Ds own plant in Germany (Idstein),the big routers went to Italy (Felisatti - who have also made tools for Freud and Trend and are now part of Russian group Interskol), smaller routers went to Slovenia (to Einhell, who had by then relocated from Switzerland where they had also manufactured/assembled saws and routers on behalf of Elu) and to the UK (B&D Spennymoor - dovetail jigs and accessories). Under DW router manufacture has since also gone to Mexico and China, although you'll rarely see any stuff from either country here

People these days probably aren't of how significant a player Elu once was. They manufactured the world's first plunge router (the Elu MOF11 of 1949), they made the first effective mid-range plunge router (the Elu MOF31 of the 1960s) which in turn led to the first small plunge router (the Elu MOF96 of the early 1970s) which has served as the template for pretty much every plunge router made since (e.g. with two sprung columns, turret depth stop, two rod fence, guide bush in the base, one flat side to the baseplate, etc) and they manufactured one of the earliest variable speed plunge routers I know of (the MOF77 of 1974) - this was at a time when Stanley, the best selling routers in the UK, were all fixed base single speed non-plungers (I know, because I had one). I believe they also created the first portable sliding compound mitre saw (the Elu PS174, later DW701), were an early adopter of the industrial vacuum for tool extraction (1980s), as well as introducing the concept of buying a system rather than a tool. They were almost certainly the first European manufacturer of effective rechargeable cordless power tools. And so on. Quite a firm.

That's all a bit convoluted, I know, but hopefully it puts the SR100 in context. If anyone from B&D or DW reads this and would like to correct what I've written I'd be more than happy to be corrected - my view of things comes from being a power tool user for the best part of 50 years and having been fortunate enough to have owned or sampled a lot of different tools in that time

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction to the above: I stated in error that Einhell were the firm which moved from Switzerland to Slovenia and who had manufactured Elu routers, belt sanders, saws, etc - that should, of course, have been PERLES. In point of fact Perles started in Switzerland in 1936, subsequently merged with Slovenian power tool maker Iskra in 1960 and moved all remaining production from Switzerland in 1982. The last remaining Elu-derived product they make is the OF3 router (basically the DW615 or Trend T5). The firm still undertakes sub-contract manufacturing for other brands, as stated earlier. Apologies for the incorrect info in my previous post

All these guys are replaced by CNC now and one operator.
I can count 17 and probably dozens more out of shot.

csm_elumatec_maschinenfertigung_1930_29811fbbad.jpg

Are they, though? On listed building work you often need to make one-offs which will never be repeated - and for that a CNC router is completely and utterly useless as the set-up and CAD/CAM overheads are simply enormous. Yes, I've seen CNC window lines (effectively two CNC spindle moulders tied together in a single frame with maybe a cut-off saw or two thrown ion for good measure), but they are only any use for turning out multiples of the same design, or multiples of related designs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back