Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi to everyone this is my first post
french doors
thinking on having upvc french doors fitted
been round got prices
can anyone give me advice on hinges do i go with butt hinges or flag hinges
everywhere i went said theres were best just wondering which is stronger out of the 2
thanks

Sponsored Links
Flag hinges all day long, butt hinges are old hat now and only 2d adjustable, flag hinges are 3d so when you get the inevitable settlement then its easily rectified

ok flag the way to go £800 is my best quote in leicester kommerling profile fully moulded inside and out argon gas filled pilken glass

others were £850 linair profile butt hinge thats all i can find out did like look off butt hinge but was not sure
thanks for reply
Danny

Sponsored Links
went down to buy doors then m8 rang me said butt hinges r best
so now very confused
flag hinges the look like they only hold on with 4/5 grubb screws and 1 screw on inside but look strong
butt hinges look very nice but dont look very strong so now confused again.

Its entirely your choice but i speak from 20 years experience in fitting pvc and 12 years of that working for the 2 largest emergency glaziers in the country. Both companies purely carried out insurance work, 70% of that work was burglaries, the rest was split between accidental damage, storm damage and police work.

We replaced OR smart repaired pvc, aluminium and timber. I have seen pvc back doors lying on the lawn more times than i care to remember due to butt hinges, i wont explain how as its a public forum and there could be burglars about :eek:. I've seen timber and pvc doors snapped in half, drainpipes pulled of the walls, i've even seen pools of blood (burglars blood) :D

I have seen just about every way a door or window can be forced, some very clever and tidy, some with just pure brute force.

Ive seen it all from spaces on drives where 80k cars where once parked to pensioners in tears.

IMO butt hinges are cr4p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back