Hip Roof support help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Need advise on methods of repair before I speak with a builder.
I have a hip roof where purlins are fixed into a wall but the other end has some supports which seem to be supported from an upright which sits on the upstairs joists.
The uprights have split (shake)- the house is however 110 years old

Initial idea was to have the uprights replaced - but then I read about strapping and resin, any advice would be appreciated.

Split under purlin (only one side has split)
under purlin.jpg
Upright
upright in loft.jpg
Ceiling from other side
Ceiling.jpg
I will be refoofing but want to ensure everything is sound first, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I would do anything about it, a 10mm bolt with large washers
will stop it from splitting anymore.

I did also look at that, with the addition of fresh timber either side but was concerned that the bricks lower down somehow provide support for the upright - even if it stops it bowing.
I couldn't see any other reason for bricks in what looks like a stud wall.

I wouldn't worry about that unless the wall below shows signs of movement.

Ours is very similar, we took the wall either side of the support down and it didn't affect it. It was 4x3 and very strong.

Sponsored Links
No, not like yours has.

I removed it to put an RSJ below it, built a block wall ontop of that then fixed a new shorter prop on top of the wall.

Spilts or natural shakes along the grain and in the direction of load, are not that significant. You can bolt it or strap it if you want to ease your mind

Its not really a job for a builder though.

Thanks both of you for your help - gives me a bit more of a clue now.

1 last thing - anyone know why they use to fill the gap with bricks?

They look more like block paving on their edge.

I have no idea why, probably something they did between lat and plaster going out of fashion and plasterboard being invented.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back