Hip to hip roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a question regarding a hip to hip roof design.

I have designed the structure of the roof with the intention to build rooms in the loft, and so I made the top ridge quite wide, which resulted in the hips being at 60 degrees instead of 45. This resulted in the pitch of the front and the side being different, with the front and back pitch being shallower than at the two sides.

This difference in pitch between sides and front/back has resulted in the hip tiles being a bit lob sided and the roof tiles at the sides reach the gutters at a sharper pitch than at the front and back.

The solution proposed is to place the hips at 45 degree angles, thus making the top ridge shorter.

I was thinking however is it acceptable/done for the hips NOT to be at 45 degrees and have a wider top ridge and some sort of way to deal with the different pitches?

Sponsored Links
What about building the side up a bit? Think they call it a Dutch End like this:
DFAEC551-2012-4470-9545-538FFB74EBE3.png

That way you can keep the longer ridge and maintain the 45deg angle.

I have designed ..... the hips being at 60 degrees instead of 45. This resulted in the pitch of the front and the side being different, with the front and back pitch being shallower than at the two sides.

No, you have not designed. You've cobbled.

Obey the laws of geometry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back