cut and pitch

when I get the drawing I will post them on this site, but in the meantime I am going have a closer look at trigonometry and I agree cut and pitch is a dying trade

Sponsored Links
We try and build cut roofs wherever possible, but where large spans are concerned trusses are usually the best bet.

We build extensions so cut roofs lend themselves well to the whole joined on roof thing.

I feckin hate truss diminishing valley sets, they are absolutely pants to fit! :evil:

We try and build cut roofs wherever possible, but where large spans are concerned trusses are usually the best bet.

you reckon?
imo i can't see the pre made trusses lasting longer then 30 years especially with the thickness of timber they are shunting them out now with.

you reckon?
imo i can't see the pre made trusses lasting longer then 30 years especially with the thickness of timber they are shunting them out now with.
It is more to do with the spans involved.

It becomes un-feasible to use excessively large sections of timber when dealing with unsupported large spans.

For this reason, roof trusses are unbeatable.

For me personally, i do not like them. I find them spindly and especially difficult to join a plasterboard on the very narrow section of joist.

Incidentally, i never use spacings any less than 450mm centres, whether that be trusses, joists, studs, rafters etc.

I refuse to space anything at 600mm.

Sponsored Links
i know they are 'engineered' to withstand and tolerate the pressure that will be put on them but what happens a few years down the line when things start to sag, when more weight is put on them ie a few years down the line when things needs replastering.

I just can't see the benefit in using them apart from commercial property enterprise and such. For domestic dwellings and the cost of which then i think a cut and pitch will beat hands down any pre made truss no matter the thickness of timber that would need to be used.

you have to admit they are far more prettier before they are covered even when a few rafters look to be leaning to one side ;)

Thank you all for your offers concerning the roof that I didn't know how to pitch, because it didn't make sense to me.

This is how it panned out in the end, I told my employer that I couldn't make sense of the drawings and rather than approach the architect or the engineer with my concerns he sub contracted the job out to someone else.

About a week before the sub contracters were due to start pitching the roof my employer decided that he needed to get the measurements for the Valley Steel and the flitch beams, after much deliberation and heated debate he came to the conclusion that the drawings were wrong.

To cut a long story short, the engineer had misinterpreted the drawings and in doing so had implemented flitch beams instead of ridges and a H steel for the new Valley Hip and also introduced a flitch rafter to take the intersection of the new Valley to old ridge, leading to a a flitch broken hip to new flitch ridge :confused: Of course, all of this was completely unnescary and wrong.

To add insult to injury, not only had the engineer misinterpreted the drawing the architect had also designed the roof wrong. Whilst the engineer spent a further two weeks arriving at the conclusion that only a flitched rafter was needed and no other steels, the architect couldn't fathom a way to make the roof work. Therefore the drawings went out of the window and said contractors did the best they could, unfortunately, where a Valley hip would normally intersect the 90 degree between the adjoining garage and house it has landed a further two feet down the house side and looks shiite.

To sum up, I am not bothered that my employer didn't have the confidence in me to to think that if I didn't understand the drawings then the drawings could be wrong. Because, I know, I was right in not being able to interpret them, I also know he knows I was right, and I also know his lack of faith has cost him a lot of money.

So if I ever get drawings I don't understand again, my first port of call will be you lot. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back