Hive 1 installation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have purchased a Hive 1 kit which i was intending to install tomorrow. I installed my Salus Thermostat about 5 years ago and it was easy to switch the wires over from the previous thermostat. The Salus is wired mains live, switched live and earth. When I look at the Hive (heating only) installaton instructions it needs permanent neutral, permanent live, common, heating off, heating on and earth. Can anyone advise how this is adopted? Also can I just replace my existing Salus controller with the hive receiver (its 2 rooms away from the boiler) or does it have to be next to the boiler?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Westindieman and welcome to the forum. A bit more information is required in order to give a meaningful answer please.

1. You don't say what model of Salus you have, you don't mention a neutral wire, so I guess it's either battery operated, or a simple manual dial is it? The model of the Salus would be helpful, if you know it. [Unfortunately the Hive does require a neutral as it is mains operated.]

2. What sort of system do you have? Is the boiler a Combi?...or...

3. ... do you have a hot water cylinder and motorised valves? if so, are the motorised valves two or three port and how many are there?

4. What is presently controlling the heating on/off times? does the Salus do that, or is there a timeswitch / programmer somewhere else.

Thanks for the reply Stem. The Salus is the program controlled RT500 and used on a combi boiler.

OK, thanks that's clear now. It's quite simple wiring wise, but you will need to run a new cable. So,

The present live wire at the Salus will go to the Hive 'common' (terminal 1)

The present switched live wire at the Salus will go to the Hive 'heating on' (terminal 3)

Then you need to run a 230v supply to the Hive receiver via the same 3A fuse feeding the boiler.

Connect earths as appropriate.

Alternatively , if it's easier wiring wise, you can locate the Hive receiver closer to the boiler, so long as it meets the location requirements so that it can communicate wirelessly with the thermostat. Most new boiler installations have the receiver located next to the boiler, but it doesn't have to be there.

Sponsored Links
Still haven't had chance to do this yet but the boiler (Main Combi Eco) is plugged into a socket next to it, next to that cable which goes to the socket is a cable that goes into a junction box which has live and neutral running into it. I am trying to trace the cable that connects to to the Salus (for the purpose of connecting it to the Hive at the boiler region) but it isnt easy as it goes through walls. I believe it must be this cable running from the boiler to the junction, however it seems there is only one of the wires in the cable going into the junction box when I thought there should be 2 (1 live 1 switched). I couldn't get enough light in the closet to see the complete wiring in the today so I could be mistaken, but does this all seem correct?

Ive taken some pictures from within the closet now. Hopefully this explains what I mean. Ignore the black cable on the left as it isnt connected to anything at the other end, it is just cut off. The white cable running downwards is connected to the boiler and the others should go to the Salus.
2r1zfj7.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back