Hive 2.0 standard to combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a standard boiler and a Hive 2.0 + Hub wired up. However, we are switching to a combi, will this still work or can it be easily adapted by the plumber; or are we having to buy a new one?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by a Hive 2.0, but if you mean you have a Dual Channel Hive presently controlling central heating and hot water, and you want to fit it to a combi and use it just to control the central heating, that can be done, it just means that the hot water channel of the Hive won't be doing anything.

Whether your plumber is capable or not will depend upon his electrical skills, I imagine most would be able to it, if they can understand the wiring information provided by the boiler manufacturer.

Not sure what you mean by a Hive 2.0, but if you mean you have a Dual Channel Hive presently controlling central heating and hot water, and you want to fit it to a combi and use it just to control the central heating, that can be done, it just means that the hot water channel of the Hive won't be doing anything.

Whether your plumber is capable or not will depend upon his electrical skills, I imagine most would be able to it, if they can understand the wiring information provided by the boiler manufacturer.
Thanks, I mean the Hive 2.0 thermostat as opposed to the original V1 model.

Sponsored Links
The OP has a dual channel Hive - not so good on a boiler that has an ELV thermostat circuit...

Ah, but I have inside information from another thread from @gerbils ;)
Vaillant ecoFIT pure 35kW

And whilst is does have a 24v control option, it also has.....
abc.jpg

But just in case:

Hmm Hive themselves said it's no problem.... is it best to buy a new one?

Not a problem for you, as @stem has pointed out - your boiler has a 24V control circuit and a mains voltage one.
Just ensure your installer knows which one to connect to :)

No problem technically, but personally I would probably buy a new one because the Dual Channel Hive, will have hot water control functions that won't do anything, and that would bug me. But if you don't mind that........

No problem technically, but personally I would probably buy a new one because the Dual Channel Hive, will have hot water control functions that won't do anything, and that would bug me. But if you don't mind that........
Yeah it would bug me too . We’re now considering a regular boiler instead of a combi so maybe won’t be an issue after all…

Yeah it would bug me too . We’re now considering a regular boiler instead of a combi so maybe won’t be an issue after all

Interesting, I have a hot water tank, and had considered a combi to replace it, however in summer solar heats the domestic hot water, not sure if that is possible with a combi?

All an oil combi does is have a small tank in the boiler, so maybe can have an immersion heater, with gas there was an eco and standard option, standard has small tank on boiler, but I have seen no option for an immersion heater to be fitted.

So now glad we have a tank for DHW, only down side is solar with the immersion does not heat whole tank, think I need to get a longer immersion heater or Willis system.

But homes in the past were instant hot water gas fired, only disadvantage took ages to fill a bath, and shower would go hot cold and hot again as it used the reserve hot water up.

However this house three floors 19 kw boiler and last house two floors needed 28 kw for the DHW which since that house gas, resulted in it not being able to turn down low enough so boiler cycled off on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back