Hive how do i cancel my old thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have my new hive system up and running but want to take off the old thermostat which is set at 30 degrees as the hive over runs it. I want to put the wireless hive in the same place as the old thermostat but don't know which wires to join and which ones to just leave or cover. I know its not good practice to do this but I want to leave them there in case I leave so I can put the old thermostat back in situ. Ive took a pic of the inside of the thermostat.
20171125_103625.jpg

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the Hive is wired in series with the wall stat which is not how I'd have done it.
The "best" way would be to disconnect the cable at the boiler end (and put some terminals on the wire ends to protect them) and use only the hive.
But doing as you have, you need to join the wires in terminal 1 (live supply) and 3 (demand) together, and put the wire in terminal 4 (neutral) in a terminal of it's own. However, that leaves the cable(s) in the wall live and if someone thinks that the Hive is battery powered and wireless so won't have anything connected to it, they may assume there's no live cable running down the wall to it.

Can you post a picture of the backbox, or rather the wiring that's in it ? It's not wired as they normally are, and I can see a blue wire in the background that doesn't appear in any 'stat terminal.

Hi thanks simon the blue in the background is in no4, 2x Browns are in no1, and a black in no3 The black and the blue are sleeves over grey cables. So am I still ok to do as you have said earlier ?

Yes, the connections are still the same, but I'm wondering why there's two browns - there would normally only be one.

Sponsored Links
I would be looking to disconnect at the supply side. It would seem there are two give boxes. One where there is no domestic hot water and one where there is. Since they both use the same Base can't say how to do it. And being phone rather than pc not got details to hand.

no idea but ive done what you said and its working fine thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back