Hive Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've purchased a new Hive 2 system for my combi boiler to replace my current Honeywell ST9100A programmer and wired thermostat. The boiler is an Alpha CD28C combi installed around 4-5yrs ago

Looking at the programmer, I plan to of course wire the earth, L and N up, but need some advice on the wires in slots 1 and 4 of the Honeywell, presumably 1 is common and 4 is the heating on wire? If thats the case, what would be in the connector block? The current thermostat wiring would then be removed completely?

I've included pics of the current wiring, along with diagrams for the Hive and Honeywell programmer.

Sponsored Links
First of all you need to take the old thermostat out of the equation, because the Hive replaces it. The wires going to the existing thermostat switching terminals 1 (red) & 3 (black) should be connected together. It is preferable if this is done at the terminals at other end of the cable from the thermostat end, so that the cable going to the existing thermostat can be disconnected, and the old thermostat removed without leaving any live wires behind.

Then the Neutrals and the Lives need to be transferred from your existing programmer to the Hives L & N terminals

Then the wire in the existing programmer terminal 1, should be connected to the Hive terminal 1 (Common)

and the wire in the existing programmer terminal 4, should be connected to the Hive terminal 3 (Heating on)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

One more question on the small connector block shown in the current programmer picture. Does this remain as is? i.e. stays within the connector block to complete the circuit.

Yes, you need to leave that as it is.

I have also edited my original post because I made reference to a neutral at the thermostat, when actually you don't have one. You should have had one, but it's of no relevance now that it's going to be removed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OK, thanks.

I've traced the wiring from both the programmer and thermostat to a fused switch next to the consumer unit (the boiler is out in the garage and has its own fused switch). There are 3 cables going into a junction box; one comes from the programmer, another goes into the switch, and the third I presume goes to the thermostat. There's a small connector block also inside the junction box.

Any ideas on how I can rework the wiring there to knock out the thermostat as it won't be needed - I'd rather do that than just join the wires at the thermostat and bury in the wall.

Once this is solved I'm all set!

Last edited:
Thst would be the red and black which go into the small connector block and are paired with the thin black and a grey wire from the programmer. The earth goes to the junction block earth, as expected. Hope that helps

Then you need to remove the red and black wires from the thermostat, and put a wire link between the two terminals where they came from. So that the thin black and the grey wire are joined together.

Alternatively, just put the thin black and the grey wire in the same terminal.

The red and black wires in the cable that go to the thermostat then won't be connected to anything, and the wires that they were connected to will be joined together.

Stem....can't thank you enough for the help here. I've just fitted it and it took about 30 minutes overall with zero issues. Top man

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back