Another Hive installation post - sorry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a single channel Hive unit for my Vaillant Combi. I already have the hub from my previous house.

Just to confirm from this post and my pic attached of the existing Honeywell ST9100A unit, that I will need to insert a link between L and Common (currently 1) and move the switched live connection from 4 to 3 on the Hive ?

I also have a wired sensor which goes back to a junction box under the boiler which I plan to remove, but will post about that here later.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just to confirm from this post and my pic attached of the existing honeywell unit, that I will need to insert a link between L and Common (currently 1) and move the switched live connection from 4 to 3 on the hive ?

Yes that is correct.(y)

You will of course also need to transfer the L, N & E wires to the Hive ;)

Here are the pictures of the thermostat and junction box. On the room thermostat they seem to have used the grey wire as a Neutral covered with blue tape. The black is the switched live I assume. So tracing these back to the junction box (entering bottom left) remove those three to isolate the thermostat which can then be removed safely. Oh and the earth of course!

To confirm then in the junction box either move or link the black switched live to the position shown ?

The grey wires shown in the junction box are unused/terminated.

Attachments

• IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like you have found in the junction box and the origin of the cable that goes to the thermostat. So, what you have figured sounds right.

1) Make a note of where the brown wire that goes to thermostat 1 is connected, and the black wire that goes to thermostat 3 are connected

2) Disconnect all of the wires that go to the thermostat and remove the cable from the junction box

3) Insert a wire loop to link together the two terminals that the brown and black wires have just been removed from so that they are electrically connected. Or, as per your diagram put them both in the same terminal.

Much appreciated just nice to have someone to bounce my logic off, to confirm my thinking :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back