Honeywell t40 to hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post. I'm hoping to switch from my old Honeywell t40 to a single channel hive for my combi boiler, Worcester green Star 24i.
I've read many threads but I just wanted to double-check that it's a straight swap and I don't need a linking cable.
The cables go earth, black, light grey and brown.
Yellow and Green -> Hive earth

Black (Honeywell position 2) -> Hive N

Brown (Honeywell position 1) -> Hive L

Grey (Honeywell position 3) -> Hive ?3

also connect Hive 1 and L?

Attachments

• 20221125_152458.jpg
    20221125_152458.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 21.58.39.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 21.58.39.png
    308.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20221126_125935.jpg
    20221126_125935.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
Nope the Hive needs a permanent live you dont have one, at your thermostat, do you also have a timer/programmer ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Nope the Hive needs a permanent live you dont have one, at your thermostat, do you also have a timer/programmer ?
Not for me to contradict but isnt the brown on terminal 1 on the old stat a permanent live?

If so then the OP can connect on Hive.......

Brown to L
Black to N
Grey to 3
and loop L to 1

Sponsored Links
The Hive receiver would normally replace the existing timer/programmer rather than the thermostat. As ianmcd says it requires a permanent live connection. In theory when an on period is selected on your timer there may be power at the thermostat on terminal-1 but that depends on your Combi having voltage free switching or not. If it's the former there will never be 240V presented to the thermostat. Before you start it's best to determine which mode your combi has been wired. If you have a multi meter it can be checked, with great care of course, by verifying if there is 240V on terminal 1 when the timer is on. You would then have a "permanent" 240V supply when (and only when) the timer is on. It's a real bodge and far from ideal. Not something I would be happy with.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
The Hive receiver would normally replace the existing timer/programmer rather than the thermostat. As ianmcd says it requires a permanent live connection. In theory when an on period is selected on your timer there may be power at the thermostat on terminal-1 but that depends on your Combi having voltage free switching or not. If it's the former there will never be 240V presented to the thermostat. Before you start it's best to determine which mode your combi has been wired. If you have a multi meter it can be checked, with great care of course, by verifying if there is 240V on terminal 1 when the timer is on. You would then have a "permanent" 240V supply when (and only when) the timer is on. It's a real bodge and far from ideal. Not something I would be happy with.

Just review

This makes me suspect it's a case of the Hive receiver being wired behind the timer. The timer is going on & off which is why the Hive has no lights.
Greenstar 24i is 230vac mains voltage.

if you want to use the wiring at the existing thermostat you will have to set the timer on the boiler to constantly on

• Thanks
Not for me to contradict but isnt the brown on terminal 1 on the old stat a permanent live?
no it is not a permanent live, it is only live when the timer is calling for heat, can be used with the timer set to constantly on , but not ideal, if someone turns the timer off or it fails the hive wont have power

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back