Hive Thermostat Wiring (Honeywell T40 Thermostat, Vaillant Ecomax Boiler)

njd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Vaillant Ecomax boiler and Honeywell T40 Thermostat. I am hoping to wire the hive receiver using the existing wires from behind the thermostat. I've attached pictures of the existing wiring and would appreciate advice on how these wires should be connected to the Hive receiver, particularly the brown wire, which I believe is 'switch live'. This is what I've hopefully picked up from an internet search:

Yellow and Green -> Hive earth

Light Grey (Honeywell position 2) -> Hive N

Dark Grey (Honeywell position 1) -> Hive L

Brown (Honeywell position 3) -> Hive ?3

?also connect Hive 1 and L

I've tried calling Hive technical support, who transfer me to British Gas, who then send me back to Hive technical support so I'm unfortunately not making much process. I've attached pictures of the existing setup and wiring guides
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 14.47.09.png
t40.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 21.58.39.png
and any help would be fantastic.

Best wishes,

Niall

Sponsored Links
Thank you. For the L to 1 connection, would this just be a jumper wire? Don't have much experience with this sorry (I paid for installation but my appointment has been scheduled multiple times by BG, now into Feb, and would like to get it going over winter)!

BW,

Niall

Sponsored Links
Do you have an existing time clock or programmer either separate or on board the boiler ?

Do you have an existing time clock or programmer either separate or on board the boiler ?
That is a good point. Often a time clock will turn off supply to thermostat, and you don't want that to happen, it will likely mess up the Hive unit, it does mess up Nest as the battery in the unit goes flat and until charged again it will not work.

That is a good point. Often a time clock will turn off supply to thermostat, and you don't want that to happen, it will likely mess up the Hive unit, it does mess up Nest as the battery in the unit goes flat and until charged again it will not work.
my point exactly @ericmark if the OP is using a switched live as a permanent live the hive will suffer unless existing is set to permanently on

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back