Boiler not working with Hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently swapped a Honeywell T40 thermostat with a Hive thermostat (Heating Only). The Hive thermostat is connected to the receiver and when I call for heat, the boiler does not fire (the burner light does not come on). However, the receivers Central Heating and Status lights are both solid green. The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 27 CDI. As it was cold, I put the original Honeywell T40 back on and the heating worked immediately. I would really appreciate some help!! Thank you

Attachments

• Hive Thermostat.jpg
    Hive Thermostat.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Hive Reciever Wiring.jpg
    Hive Reciever Wiring.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 341
Sponsored Links
As a test, with the T40 connected and turned up to maximum, does the Hive thermostat then control the heating? i.e when turned up above the current room temperature, does the boiler fire?

Temp insert put the wires in 1&3 both into the same terminal, does the boiler now fire ? how did you remove the T40

Hi Milgo. Its only the T40 connected that controls the heating, the Hive is completely isolated. The T40 works fine when connected. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian. I tried this, but sadly, still nothing. Thank you though. Any other ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks

Did the boiler ever work via the Hive?

If not then why do you think it has been correctly installed?

Hi Agile. The boiler has never worked with Hive. Despite following the installation guide correctly and all the status' telling me its working, I probably haven't installed it correctly, hence why Ive come on here to ask for help. The boiler works fine when I put the original Honeywell back on, so I assume Ive made a mistake somewhere

Those in the trade come across so many silly mistakes even when having been made by a professional.

A common one is not to strip the insulation off before putting a wire into a screw terminal. Just not tightening the screw is another. Cutting though the actual wire is another which is why electricians are not encouraged to use a Stanley knife for cutting insulation.

Testing the continuity across parts meant to be connected sometimes finds those faults.

Just to clear as to what I suggested as a test... With the Hive receiver installed and connected to the boiler and the Hive thermostat paired/connected to the receiver.

The T40 needs to be connected in its original place and wired as thought still in use. Now turn the T40 to its maximum temperature. What now happens when you turn up the Hive thermostat higher than the actual temperature displayed on it?

Just out of interest can you show us how the T40 is wired up?

Is the Hive stat being used in stand-alone mode, or app-controlled mode?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back